Size Matters for towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We took a popup camper out a few weeks ago and quickly realized it was way too small for our family; 2 adults, 2 children, and a dog. The camper was given to me and i fixed it up to livable conditions. We are now looking for a travel trailer but i need to know what is a good compromise with size and safety.

We have a 2001 LC 100, it has OME medium springs and i added Air Lift 1000 bags. We looked at a couple 17 - 19 ft campers with bunk beds but felt they may be a little small. We plan on someday going up to North Carolina and Georgia.

What models are some of you hauling? Weight? Length? Slide out? What can i safely tow to North Carolina?

Thanks!

Big 'ol RTT (maybe even a double RTT) and an ARB awning/room setup... that's got my vote...but I hate towing with anything but a full ton diesel ;)

Thought did cross my mind but the packing/unpacking every single time didn’t don’t do it for me.

I have a pop up I may keep for just myself and dog. ;)

For the last few years I've been looking for a camping solution to pull behind my Cruisers. I have a low mile 89 FJ62 converted to a new H55F manual and a 96 FZJ80. For years I've towed all manner of campers up to 28ft with my trust Ford Super Duty. Bought a larger popup camper with a 14.5ft box and it was a high wall (3,000lbs plus and that's dry weight) a couple years back hoping to pull that with my cruisers but it's a losing proposition. There's some pretty big hills between Phoenix and the much cooler north country up I-17. After lots of searching I finally found this gem a 2006 Fleetwood Yuma. It's a 9.5ft box, about 14ft overall, with no AC, no hot water heater, but it does have a furnace and a water pump. Just wanted something simple and light. It's 1500lbs dry weight. Can't wait to try it hooked to my FJ62. If that'll pull it then the much more modern inline six in the 80 series should pull it okay. Any predictions?

00H0H_8rJ3rKcBGmO_1200x900.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom