Site Changes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
I'm working slowly towards turning IH8MUD.com into a php-based website, longer term into mySql database driven. The forum has been php for quite a while, and it allows some kewl scripting for "universal" items like the menu and the bottom tag lines. I intend to rework the balance of the site into the same format...

In short, of you direct link anywhere, they will change. Linking to "http://www.ih8mud.com" will not, but the index will no longer be a .html extention, but a .php extention...and the rest of the pages will follow suit. The "fail" pages all redirect to the home page tho...

Currently, the menu and bottom "copyright" lines are separate files...more of this will occur. It simplifies updates GREATLY for me.

The "kickstart" for all this was a change in "ownership definition" for IH8MUD.com...it was turned into a sole proprietorship in 2003, and as of last night, is now a Limited Liability Company under State of Wisconsin law.

You'll notice some VERY minor changes in the graphic images on the site (lotsa little "LLC" images), but logo merchandise will not change. (no collectors items out there...lol)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled post padding.

(edited cause hltopper is smarter than me....lol)

Woody,

Sure that isn't "Limited Liability Company"....the use of a "corporate" moniker could have the IRS wanting some tax at the corporate level, rather than passing any taxable gains to the partners in the LLCompany.

Sorry if I'm a little anal... ::) Keep up the good work! :cheers:

-H-

I have no clue what all that meens.........but I suspect its a good thing :flipoff2:

and BTW, Woody.........thanks for the great site :)

...round one occurred tonight....2+ hours of php coding....uugh...the majority of the tech links are now php instead of html. "old" files will remain up for bookmarks for another month or so...

[quote author=woody link=board=9;threadid=13591;start=msg125807#msg125807 date=1080067257]
In short, of you direct link anywhere, they will change. Linking to "http://www.ih8mud.com" will not, but the index will no longer be a .html extention, but a .php extention...and the rest of the pages will follow suit. The "fail" pages all redirect to the home page tho...
[/quote]

Hey brian, with respect to this, how would i link to the tech section, trying to suggest that as a place to start for SOA and engine swaps... my link isn't working, tried .html, and .php. i'll pull down the link now to hide my stuffup, but i'll add again if you could tell me how :)

http://www.ih8mud.com/ih8mud-tech.html is the current link....but it will be updating/changing in the next week or so....but I will redirect all the old stuff to the new stuff, so it shouldn't be a big deal...

Brian, recvd a pdf file from u this morning whats in it .i dont like opening some files if i dont know what it is [too many viruses] sorry
regds
Ron

If it was "cac.pdf" it's the Cruiser Assistance Club roster.
Got mine this a.m. too.

subject should have been 2004 CAC Update or something like that....sent it out to around 400 people from the CAC list, just in time for summer travelling!

I've yet to ever hear of a virus being contained in a true .pdf file. I don't trust many others tho.

BTW: the tech page is moved....er, migrated...er whatever....
http://www.ih8mud.com/cruisertech.php

Whooo hoooo, I am now able to view the banners so I suspect more people who had the same problem now see them also.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

WOOHOO!!! A VERY good thing when the advertisors can see them! lol

thanks for the input!!

I don't know why...but I can't post in 80's section....Page Cannot Be Displayed

I figured it out...the pic was too big and the messages aren't working. I also have had problems doing a modify in the 80's section. I posted but can't modify it with a pic....any ideas?

hhhhmmm...none offhand. Discovered a bug yesterday that I fixed, but there may be others.

I can't WAIT to get the new software installed....uugh..

Woody - congrats on migrating the forum. Couple of weird things I'm seeing:

1. When first logging in, my Username and Password were no-good-to-go. Had to request a new password, etc. Then it let me in.

2. Appearance of the forum was that "standard" blue background without any banners/advertising for a while (like 10 minutes), then suddenly, eveything changed to the dark/black background with the banners present, etc. Stange science...

3. No smileys? Also no pics or avatars, buy you warned us about that...

4. Definitely much quicker on page flips and loads--very nice!

Tom

Comments on the new format

Woody,

Looks great. I had the same password problem. Some comments:

The sub-topic that is displayed at the beginning of each post is wasting screen space becuase it has two blank lines above it. And it's too close to the main text - makes it hard to find the beginning of the text and makes it hard to read.

I miss having the heirarchical list of links to the various forums at the bottom of the page. It's really inconvenient to have to scroll all the way back up to the top to go back up a level to "Tech Forums", for instance. It's better to use these links than to use my back button, because then I get updates of what I've read or not read.

Keep up the good work!

Scamper said:
1. When first logging in, my Username and Password were no-good-to-go. Had to request a new password, etc. Then it let me in.

typical, part of new software....see the just-posted announcement....

2. Appearance of the forum was that "standard" blue background without any banners/advertising for a while (like 10 minutes), then suddenly, eveything changed to the dark/black background with the banners present, etc. Stange science...

Most likely during the few minutes where I hadn't uploaded the new .xml covering all my tweaks to the forum look....taken care of now, if you see it again, please contact your optrician...

3. No smileys? Also no pics or avatars, buy you warned us about that...

pending....Friday evening/Saturday morning should give me time to finish that stuff...

4. Definitely much quicker on page flips and loads--very nice!

GOOD...that was part of the plan! lol (now, to see how it speeds when we hit our 100 people at a time max!)

yooper said:
The sub-topic that is displayed at the beginning of each post is wasting screen space becuase it has two blank lines above it. And it's too close to the main text - makes it hard to find the beginning of the text and makes it hard to read.

should be editable in the template...will see what I can take care of...

I miss having the heirarchical list of links to the various forums at the bottom of the page. It's really inconvenient to have to scroll all the way back up to the top to go back up a level to "Tech Forums", for instance. It's better to use these links than to use my back button, because then I get updates of what I've read or not read.

uuhhh..."FORUM JUMP" is at the bottom of every tech page and every post....is that what your looking for?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom