Siping BFG KM's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1Fine40

Rust Buster
Threads
???
So I've been told that mud tires are not so great on icy winter roads. I have never had them on except this summer, and I love em' thus far. The tire store folks told me they can sipe them for better winter traction and icy road performance. The idea seems to make sense as you get more small edges to bite the road. Anybody have any actual experience with this? Does it do bad things to the tires themselves?? :-\

Thanks.

good...very good...huge winter difference...BUT!

IMO, tire stores have little control over siping. Their machine can control the depth of the sipe and the width of the tread that is siped, but not the frequency.

I have hand-siped mine, using a tire groover and turning the blade upside down so you take two sipes per pass. I only do the center lugs, and only 2-3 passes per lug block. This reduces tire chunking but still adds the benefits of siping.

search on yahoo for Afco tire groover. IIRC, $60-65 or so, and you'll use it forever.

takes about 15-20 per tire to do it by hand...my BFG-MT's on my daily driver are done this way, very pleased.

on the subject of siping, is it true that it actually can decrease tire wear by allowing the tires to run cooler. I'm trying to keep my yokos alive. :D

So Woody, how's about a pic? I'd like to see what exactly you did to yours. Being as you are in cold country, I'll bet you know a thing or two about the tricks of traction on icy roads!

You are saying that you do not sipe the whole tire, but only the two center blocks?? Any specific pattern? Frequency?

:banana: job or more??

Thanks

one :banana:, maybe less even

yep, just the center blocks, leave the outer blocks alone to prevent chunking during offroad maneuvers.

And yes, rumor has it the siping will increase tire life by keeping them cooler, but I'm not positive I believe that...lol

BHCC062.JPG

shows the sipe pattern on my SX's...the pattern on the BFG's similar.

I highly recomend sipping, all my MT's(BFG's and GY's) have the center blocks sipped, makes a big difference in the rain..........hmmmm that is if it ever rains again in WA(85-90deg today)

John

???
O.K., so what determines how wide the grooves should be in the tire?? Should I just use the thinnest possible tip on a groover? Or is the object to just cut a slice in the blocks about half way deep into the tread? Seems like I'd be wasting tread that way, but if it works like you say......should be a good thing.

Siping definately works. On the dirt track we've been siping tires forever. You won't find anyone in the winners circle on unmodified tires. Works great for rockcrawling too. BFG even recommends it on their rockcrawler tires. Like Woody said though, don't do the edge blocks. They'll get roughed up in the rocks. If you want to know if it works for inclement weather think back a few years when every truck on the hiway had siped tires if they were anywhere near wet or cold. Also works wonders in motocross, desert, and hare scrambles.
For different widths order a few sizes other than the one that comes with the groover. The most common used iron is the Ideal hot knife available in two different wattages. For occasional use the smaller one will do. The larger is still the best deal. It is much faster.

[quote author=1Fine40 link=board=1;threadid=4915;start=msg37640#msg37640 date=1062634335]
O.K., so what determines how wide the grooves should be in the tire?? Should I just use the thinnest possible tip on a groover? Or is the object to just cut a slice in the blocks about half way deep into the tread? Seems like I'd be wasting tread that way, but if it works like you say......should be a good thing.
[/quote]

http://www.afcoracing.com is where I ordered my groover.

The groover uses a "U" shaped blade, there are 5 varying widths which REMOVE rubber from the tire....hence the term "groover". However, flip this sharp blade up-side-down and you effectively have two razor blades sticking down....NO rubber is removed, and only two slits are made per pass in the tire block.

IMO, 6 - 8 slits per tread block is sufficient. Any more, and you risk getting too close to the leading or trailing edge of the block, which increases chunking concerns.

If you note on my SX's, I did them in varying angles too...dn't think this makes a lick of difference, but I was feeling creative that day :D

I'm just interested in siping.

Which head/blade combo for the Ideal 250W ?

Many Thanks,
john

[quote author=sherwood link=board=1;threadid=4915;start=msg37842#msg37842 date=1062682403]
I'm just interested in siping.

Which head/blade combo for the Ideal 250W ?[/quote]

They are the same blades for siping as for grooving...

I used whatever stock blade/head came with the unit.

Im guessing this counts as siping. My new tires came in yesterday (Explorer Pro Comp MT 33x12.5) and it looks like they have their own design.

Hey, that is exactly what I was thinking of doing to my KM's....hehhehe they must have picked my brain and stolen the concept! Now I just need to get a groover! Wouldn't a sharp utility knife work as well??

[quote author=tclndcrz link=board=1;threadid=4915;start=msg37989#msg37989 date=1062716010]
Im guessing this counts as siping. My new tires came in yesterday (Explorer Pro Comp MT 33x12.5) and it looks like they have their own design.
[/quote]

If you don't mind, how much did you pay for those Pro Comps?

well they are listed at 156.99 a piece from 4 wheel parts. I got a tire and wheel package from them and that saved me lots of money so i dont kow exactly what i actually paid per tire.

I also have a friend with the same tires. He loves his. They seem to work really well onroad and offroad and have not worn down much at all and also from what i have heard they are not noisy at all. I will let you know once i get them on my truck. (I have a topic that is named "its finally happening" and i will post everything about tires wheels lift ext in that section)

PS they have predrilled holes for spikes on really icy roads

[quote author=1Fine40 link=board=1;threadid=4915;start=msg38010#msg38010 date=1062719279]
Hey, that is exactly what I was thinking of doing to my KM's....hehhehe they must have picked my brain and stolen the concept! Now I just need to get a groover! Wouldn't a sharp utility knife work as well??
[/quote]

it would work....but ya gotta heat it up, keep it hot, and it will be awkward.

IMO, buy the Ideal from Afco, and charge yer buddies $10 fer blades/use every time they borrow it...cause they will....lots....believe me....

Buying your own groover is a super idea. I have the Ideal heat knife and it's totally awesome. You can put some wicked grooves down or some sweet sipes, or both. Think it was like $60-70 with the extra blades I got.

I've been useing my Ideal for near 15 years and love it. I have a variety of blades from 1/8" to 3/4". I would recommend the 1/4" to 3/8" for siping duty. If you want to spend the money get a couple sizes other than the one that comes with and get plenty of blades too. You'll use them. I got the 3/4" for making sand tires. I can peel the tread off leaving strips across the tire every 3 to 5". It's not a paddle but it's the next best thing for duning. We also used it for the indoor trucks. I've even made rain tires from road racing slicks. The funniest use still has to be custom fitting a set of rubber mats. Turned out beautiful. Customer was very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom