Siphoning gas from your Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.homepage.mac.com
Has anybody tried to siphon gas from their 100 series? I have a gas generator and the usual gas-powered lawn tools, and would prefer to keep my spare gasoline in a 6000-pound Japanese-built container better equipped for the job than a red plastic bucket made in China.

I dropped a four-foot hose down the filler neck and never reached liquid -- and hit a stop that prevented me shoving any more tube into the tank.

Can anybody give me a clue?

thanks
LT
:eek: :eek:

Am I reading this correctly? You would rather stick a hose down into the tank of your LC and attempt to siphon gas out of it via suction generated by you, or an actual pump rather than pour gas out of a designated container into your lawnmower?

Is it a Japanese vs. Chinese technology thing or an unusually high number of Jerry Jug thefts there?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

The anti-siphon valve if it is present is probably to prevent people from hurting themselves siphoning more than to discourage thieves. :rolleyes:

My current CA-CARB compliant gas can was made in Canada (very nice - no drips). My previous one was made in Oklahoma. If you're a China paranoid (some days I am too) get a Military surplus "jerry" can (Don't worry it's not actually made in Germany). :D

I've got nothing against China or Chinese manufacturing-- sorry if that comment distracted people.

The point is that I have a 25 gallon fuel tank with fresh gasoline -- and I have a five-gallon plastic gasoline container in the corner of the garage. If there's an easy way to siphon, I'd rather keep the gas in the cruiser. Plus, we have a generator that can run the house electric system in an emergency, and I'd like to be able to tap the larger supply of gasoline from the Cruiser.

I have a nice little siphon pump (made in Canada - did you know the french word for pump is bomba?) that would make it easy, if the cruiser fuel tank can be siphoned.

Still no clues out there?

LT

OK - Now you don't sound so much like a redneck working hard at a spot in the Darwin awards. :D

I seriously doubt you can siphon that way. I believe there is a mesh filter in the path.

Storing gas in plastic cans makes me nervous as well. This is why I purchased Wedco Jerry Cans.

Go to this Rover site for good background on Jerry Cans and why they are the bomb:

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/wedco/

I believe CCOT also sells the Wedco Jerry Cans.

As far as storing gasoline for long periods, add a fuel stabilizer and refill the cans once every year. When it is time to change the gas, put it in one of your vehicles and refill. Simple.

I use this product for fuel stabilizer, fuel system cleaner, etc. and it works very well:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom