single speed MTB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I converted a Klein Attitude over, but switched it back after I bought a Redline MonoCog MTB single speed cruiser.

Numerous bikes. What are you looking at doing?

not a MTB yet, just a couple road bikes. I do have an old Ritchey frame I might convert.

bike stores around here BLOW the big one. The guy that runs the store is 60ish and not to up on the "custom" arena.

How did you like the ride of the single speed? was your rear hub cassette or freewheel. I've got a bullseye rear hub, and was curious if a BMX style freewheel would fit. I was heavy into the BMX deal back in early 80's, still have a few sets or very nice hubs that I cut the spokes off of. Was curious if there are any longer axles and spacers to make it fit the frame of a MTB.

clear that up a little:
*mtb i am thinking of changing over has a rear bullseye freewheel hub
*also have a few sets of hub from the bmx time erea
*also have an old 89 trek 7000 frame and forks sitting around

Last edited:
The easiest way to find out if you'd like a single speed... pick a trail and DON'T SHIFT! :)

Plus, this also allows you to play with a couple different gearing ratios before committing to something you may or may not like. Don't just pick the middle ring from each cluster... try some different gears and see what you like. But don't just try them for 1500' or so... ride the whole trail in one gear set, try another the next time. You'll find you'll want a lower gearing then you originally started with I bet.

SS is my only bike...after running a SS setup on a regular MTB frame i purchased a SS specific frame. BMX style hubs won't fit a MTB because of the width. Check out White Industries hubs. Best way to convert a regular MTB into a SS without having to use a coverter pullies.

Doc said:
The easiest way to find out if you'd like a single speed... pick a trail and DON'T SHIFT! :)

Plus, this also allows you to play with a couple different gearing ratios before committing to something you may or may not like. Don't just pick the middle ring from each cluster... try some different gears and see what you like. But don't just try them for 1500' or so... ride the whole trail in one gear set, try another the next time. You'll find you'll want a lower gearing then you originally started with I bet.

I wish there were trails around here. this poor thing is going to live the life of flat lands street cruiser. Highest elevation here is about 30'

oh ya....fully rigid.

I converted a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo into a single speed, got it down to 18.25 LBS with Bontrager Carbon accessories.

Love the bike, makes trails that are getting boring on the FS more fun......
totally different work out as well, stregth rides, standing allot.

Ordered up a Ellsworth Epiphany today with a RP3 shock and a Tallas xtt front fork....

Can't wait for that 5.25 inch travel XC beast.

there are two ellsworth isis frames on ebay. both are for midgets, 13" frame is what the add states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom