Single Shear Shock Tab on Front Axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a friend come over the other day for a look at my build. He seemed convinced that the tab welded to the axle housing with the shock bolt would fail (see picture), and said I should change it to a two tab 'double shear' arrangement (the bolt would go through two tabs both welded to the axle housing, which is what I have on the rear). I told the guy that the way it currently is set up is the way the stock axle is, and moreover I got the cut and turn axle housing from Proffitt's and I doubted it would be inadequate.

So...the question is how many people are running springover, big tires, and doing extreme off roading with a single tab arrangement? How long has it stood up that way? Should I go through the trouble of changing it to double shear?
single shear.JPG

Im still running the stock lower shock mounts on my truck. 6+ years SOA w no issues.

I ran dual shocks setup with both in single shear on my Piggy for over 20 years with no failures. Lord knows I beat the snot out of it on the trails!! By the way, the shock mount in your pic is not OEM. But, it is fabbed up to be very much like OEM. John

I have the same housing from Proffits so same set up. No problems with 40" Iroks.

Kent

Double shear is definitely stronger and if I were racing or competing I would do double shear, but every shock point, upper and lower on an FJ40 has been single shear since their inception. I've never personally seen a failure in the hundreds of trucks I've worked on.

I broke a tab off mine but partly think short shocks were to blame and it took a hard roll before that also. I'm currently running a double shear ruff stuff mount but agree that you'll probably never have a problem

If you're not jumping dunes at Pismo, it'll probably be fine. I bent mine jumping dunes at Pismo...
nn0w.jpg

i'll be damned- apparently the CAN fly.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom