Single piece tail gate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

What an awesome forum. I have a 1992 HDJ 80, I bought it this year. It has a single piece fiberglass tailgate, I have never seen this before, it must a customized. However, it could need a change, and I have looked all over for a replacement. Have you ever seen or heard of a single piece tailgate (which is a rear hatch, in one piece, more precise) in metal or composite, on a HDJ 80?

Welcome to the forum and like we always say "pics or it didn't happen!" :rofl:

Welcome to the forum and like we always say "pics or it didn't happen!" :rofl:

LC_camper.jpg

Hey There,

I have seen somewhere in France that they were manufacturing these. Will try to look it up.
I am doing my phd in Copenhagen, planning to bringmy 1993 hzj80 to camp out in it. Maybe you know some nice spots and the rules for wild camping in Denmark? :)

Cheers

Now that's better but we need MORE pics!!

Uff-da! Won't lose that in a snow storm.:D
Its a :banana:-mobile!
I like it, a lot. I'm not generally one for bright crayon colour rigs, but that looks sweet, just enough black trim to stand out.

As for the gate...
I've never seen another one like it on an 80 Series. Not sure I undstand the appeal; one of the check boxes on my must-have-list when I was looking for a new 4x4 was it must have a tail gate. They are just too useful: table, work bench, seat, storage compartment...

Need more pics of the camp box on the spare tire carrier, please. That looks like something worth copying. Does it have a fold out table for a stove?

If I recall, the company in France that made a bunch of fiberglass or composite panels was called Roy Creations. Check out this old thread:

If I recall, the company in France that made a bunch of fiberglass or composite panels was called Roy Creations. Check out this old thread:
The camper part, including the pop up roof is made of Roy Creation, a boat builder in Bretagne, France. He doesn’t exist anymore, likely went belly up with his company years back. As the fiber class hatch, which claims to save you around 35 kg, is actually nice as it gives you easy access to the rear, needs replacing.

Uff-da! Won't lose that in a snow storm.:D
Its a :banana:-mobile!
I like it, a lot. I'm not generally one for bright crayon colour rigs, but that looks sweet, just enough black trim to stand out.

As for the gate...
I've never seen another one like it on an 80 Series. Not sure I undstand the appeal; one of the check boxes on my must-have-list when I was looking for a new 4x4 was it must have a tail gate. They are just too useful: table, work bench, seat, storage compartment...

Need more pics of the camp box on the spare tire carrier, please. That looks like something worth copying. Does it have a fold out table for a stove?
It has a stove inside. Nice build, actually.

For the yellow I had many considerations. First I didn’t like it, then I liked it, but as I bought it for around the world trip, I finally decided that it was standing too much out, so right now it is in process of being repainted. Sandy Taupe is the new colour, with mat black rims.

Hey There,

I have seen somewhere in France that they were manufacturing these. Will try to look it up.
I am doing my phd in Copenhagen, planning to bringmy 1993 hzj80 to camp out in it. Maybe you know some nice spots and the rules for wild camping in Denmark? :)

Cheers
Sounds good with the Phd. Not so many rules for wild camping in Denmark, if you ask the owner of the land you are ok, if no owner or you can’t find him, you are also ok. Along the west coast there a lot of dedicated spots for camping, usually you find them on various apps.

If I recall, the company in France that made a bunch of fiberglass or composite panels was called Roy Creations.
Seen these at German 4x4 show. Not sure Roy is still going. May have been picked up by one of staff as a new concern?
You should post some of your setup on the Expedition forum on mud

Nice setup. Do you find it "tight" in the rear. For the one I saw at show it felt quite cramped (but then lots of other variations more roomier but price and cabin gets stretched!)

Nice setup. Do you find it "tight" in the rear. For the one I saw at show it felt quite cramped (but then lots of other variations more roomier but price and cabin gets stretched!)
With the roof up, not really, but everything is relative and you spend most time outside anyway. I just move a bit around in the back so you are able to sleep below as well, in case its too windy to put the top up, or you just want to blend in.

The whole thing is a compromise. I searched for an expedition vehicle for some time and wanted a car with separate sleeping area, bathroom with a shower and spacy living area, with 4wd and easy to drive, reasonably priced, and most importantly, the car should fit in a container. Obviously not possible. So this is my compromise and compared to its size its quite amazing what they managed to put in there.

so why are you looking to replace the hatch, is it damaged, not what you want or some other reason? im going to assume that the hatch is fiberglass so that would make it pretty easy to repair and damage, patch the area with resin and glass, gel coat over and repaint or mix the color into the gel coat and done.

so why are you looking to replace the hatch, is it damaged, not what you want or some other reason? im going to assume that the hatch is fiberglass so that would make it pretty easy to repair and damage, patch the area with resin and glass, gel coat over and repaint or mix the color into the gel coat and done.
For some reason it doesn’t fit 100%, was looking for an alternative one piece harch. Was not aware if any other manucfactures of a one piece hatch.

For some reason it doesn’t fit 100%, was looking for an alternative one piece harch. Was not aware if any other manucfactures of a one piece hatch.

if its a minor fitment issue you could probably cut and do the fiberglass work yourself or if your not too comfortable doing that you could aska marine shop or boat yard to see if they would be interested in the work. your probably going to have a tough time finding a replacement as that look like its pretty much all custom work for the popup conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom