SOLD Single Gear PTO - San Diego (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bmoonhajjar

GOLD Star
Threads
I restored this PTO for my build and decided to go with a Warm 8274 instead. The seals and gaskets have all been replaced and it is ready to install. See my other post for the PTO Shifter. This PTO has the linkage attached to it. Keep in mind these are heavy and expensive to ship.
$450

Restored...
IMG_3771.jpg
8008D0D3-D768-4A23-A656-64D8E89411BE.jpg
IMG_3763.jpg
IMG_3766.jpg

Last edited:
What’s the difference between a single gear PTO and a double gear PTO?

What’s the difference between a single gear PTO and a double gear PTO?

I think, single direction pto versus 2 direction pto

I think, single direction pto versus 2 direction pto
Hmmm...I am not sure that is correct but I will defer to @3_puppies since he has been at this a lot longer than I have. I do know that when I had this hooked up to my H55F I was able to get it to go in both direction, but I could not tell you how I did it. I am selling this because I sold the PTO Winch to @scoobiedubes and I decided to go with a Warn 8274 for my build, so I do not need it. It was completely disassembled, and refurbished though.

Early non split case pto had 2 gear foward/ reverse later splitcase only had one direction, so you ned to use reverse to spool in. It should be noted that this is a later splitcsae( 81 and up pto) It will not bolt up to earlier pre 81 cases.

Single gear PTOs are originally from 60/70 series but can be fitted to 40 series as well. All 40 series with PTO are double gear from factory. Two of my 40s (78 and 83) are double gear and I run a single gear one on another 40. A BJ42 1983 also runs a double gear.
John @Living in the Past cab shed more lights. He also has a few PTO lying around.

I was referring to fj40’s/45’s from the early 1960’s and 1970’s! here in the united states!

Keep in mind the single gear will cable out on all forward gears and only cable in on reverse. The worm gear in the winch is reversed for the single gear. Reason is on the double gear cable in was thru the idler gear which the single gear doesn't have. My first split case PTO is a single gear. Have since acquired a couple double gear split case PTO. Long.term plan for single gear is to convert to a double gear.

Early non split case pto had 2 gear foward/ reverse later splitcase only had one direction, so you ned to use reverse to spool in. It should be noted that this is a later splitcsae( 81 and up pto) It will not bolt up to earlier pre 81 cases.
That explains how I did it…reverse.

Keep in mind the single gear will cable out on all forward gears and only cable in on reverse. The worm gear in the winch is reversed for the single gear. Reason is on the double gear cable in was thru the idler gear which the single gear doesn't have. My first split case PTO is a single gear. Have since acquired a couple double gear split case PTO. Long.term plan for single gear is to convert to a double gear.
Thanks for all of the knowledge. With that being said, what is a fair price for this?

Can you swap the two gear guts into the single gear/spilt case box? I have both and would love to do this. Are any changes needed for the transfer case?

Can you swap the two gear guts into the single gear/spilt case box? I have both and would love to do this. Are any changes needed for the transfer case?

I started on this project then got a second Teo direction split case PTO in a trade. Just last month Amayama Trading showed the shift rod for the 10/82-11/84 two direction was in stock. Ii ordered a couple along with other parts they showed in stock. Few days get an invoice. Paid it and expected it here in a month or two. A week later get a email saying a big part of my order was NLA. Of course those shift rods were part of the NLA.

I haven't given up on the project. Thinking of changing another of my cruisers to split case. What would be needed is removing the shift rod from 10/82+ two direction PTO and see if the single direction can be modified or new rod made. Using the guts from an earlier one piece transfer case PTO the rest seem fairly straightforward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom