Single Clank noise when simultaneously backing out and turning onto the street (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a 1994 FZJ80 with 312k miles. I can’t figure out the cause of this noise. It happens each time I back out of my driveway and simultaneously turning into the street. I just had a complete knuckle rebuild including birfs as well complete rear brake job. Also replaced front stabilizer bar so I’m at a loss as to the cause. Any suggestions?

Kinda stating the obvious, but I'd recheck everything in the areas that were worked on assuming the clank started immediately after the work was done. If you paid someone to do the work take it back to that shop. Maybe start at the suspension and stabilizer bar.

Does it occur when driving forward or reverse in a straight line, level pavement, uneven pavement, going over speed bumps?

Does it occur when applying the brakes in a straight line, forward, reverse?

Does it occur when turning and not applying the brakes, forward or reverse, accelerating, decelerating??

Thanks for the feedback. It was actually making the noise prior to the knuckle rebuild and no change after this work was done. It does seem to occur when the chassis torques a bit when backing out of driveway (turning) and hitting a slight drop from driveway to the street. Noise doesn’t occur going forward nor when going over a speed bump. A neighbor opined it could be the front differential gear and another thought suspension parts.

Sounds similar to a worn out sway bar bushing. Both the bar to frame or end link bushings when split can make a similar single clank. Bushings may look whole but actually be split or worn through in the middle. An easy one to check at least

Sounds similar to a worn out sway bar bushing. Both the bar to frame or end link bushings when split can make a similar single clank. Bushings may look whole but actually be split or worn through in the middle. An easy one to check at least
Mine were shot and did this before I replaced them.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I had replacing the bushings on my long list of things to do but wasn’t high on the priority. I’m now moving it up in my prioritization! I’ll let everyone know if it solves the issue.

Front arm bushings, rear link bushings upper and lower, stabilizers replace it if you haven’t.

I've got a little clunk when turning as well. The front sway bar end link bushings are the only ones that aren't done yet. Anyone have a link to replacements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom