Single Barrel EFI (Holley Sniper 550-552 EFI) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Their kit is for the later 2 barrel carb and manifold. The Sniper 550 is a single barrel EFI threat might work on the early F motor with single barrel carb. I believe the 550 was built for the ford online 6 engines found in Mustangs... Just wondering if anyone has put one in an early F engine?

The Sniper 550 is a single barrel EFI threat might work on the early F motor with single barrel carb. I believe the 550 was built for the ford online 6 engines found in Mustangs... Just wondering if anyone has put one in an early F engine?
I have seen this discussed but am not sure who has done it. You may need an adapter but I dont know why it wouldnt work

It’s going pretty well. Currently need to replace the mechanical pump as it gave up the ghost recently and no longer pumps to the surge tank.

Haven’t updated the build thread yet, but I have also addressed the issue of the gas pedal not fully opening the throttle by slightly bending the arm up.

I still need to modify (bend) the linkage to the sniper so it clears the manifold but it’s good other than that.

Last edited:
It’s going pretty well. Currently need to replace the mechanical pump as it gave up the ghost recently and no longer pumps to the surge tank.

Mechanical pump?... Doesn't require electric pump in the tank?

Has anyone ever tried one of the many non Toyota single-barrel carbs available? Like Rochester, Zenith, Carter, AutoLite for Ford and Chevy straight-6 engines?

Has anyone ever tried one of the many non Toyota single-barrel carbs available? Like Rochester, Zenith, Carter, AutoLite for Ford and Chevy straight-6 engines?
yes, multiple. I enjoy the TBI for many reasons....but the main reason is the ability to let the car sit for a month and I can walk right up to it and start it up without any issues. Fuel these days just plain sucks. I wish I could jump in my 40 (and all the other things I've hoarded) everyday and go for a cruise to get her nice and hot......but I can't. I keep stabil in all my carbureted cars and boats that aren't used daily, fuel still gums up in them.......sorry if this answer moved too far away from your question!

yes, multiple. I enjoy the TBI for many reasons....but the main reason is the ability to let the car sit for a month and I can walk right up to it and start it up without any issues. Fuel these days just plain sucks. I wish I could jump in my 40 (and all the other things I've hoarded) everyday and go for a cruise to get her nice and hot......but I can't. I keep stabil in all my carbureted cars and boats that aren't used daily, fuel still gums up in them.......sorry if this answer moved too far away from your question!
It was only recently brought to my awareness regarding all the options which very likely bolt directly to the early (pre-smoggy) manifolds. I have something on the bench right now, if anyone is interested to see? The Rochester B/BC clone carb at $200 (less, and more expensive options also exist as new carbs) and a fuel pump could be a trail spare that would take up as much room as an air compressor? There must be about four other Ford Chevrolet AMC carbs also to chose from; lots of similar displacement inline 6 engines out there. Aside from throttle linkage/cable, the air cleaner assembly (which could be a cheap one mounted to the carb), some fuel hose... There must be some stuff I'm forgetting. PCV?

What is the center-to-center distance of the mounting studs for the early Aisan SD40? What is everyone's plan for an air cleaner on the Holley 1-barrel install?

I have a perfectly fine new 2F Aisan carb that I'd like to swap for something that places the fuel charge a bit more outboard so that I can get more of a laminar flow of the fuel charge. My best guess is that Toyota placed the fuel charge close to the interior side of the manifold so that it functioned as a heat exchanger, allowing the exhaust to atomize the fuel droplets. I have headers, so that doesn't work as designed, but the motor runs smooth once the intake manifold finally gets kinda warm; it takes quite a bit of time for the internal warmth of the engine to make it that far. I have not bolted anything up yet, so it is all just simmering in the lab for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom