since we are on a dog kick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what type of flea medicine do you use? I have been pretty happy with Frontline. Anyone have good luck with any of the others? What about the cheapy stuff at walmart or the grocery store?

I use some stuff I found at Costco. Defend -- or something like that. Works very well. I haven't tried anything other than that -- Frontline's pricey.

Anyone use Advantix?

I agree, the good stuff is pricey.

i've been using frontline for the last few years but only during certain times of the year when ticks are bad. i check them daily for ticks and when i find three or more, i dose em up. the dogs don't seem to mind the actuall application but they don't like the change in behaviour of thier humans once it's applied. sure it smells nice (like fabric softener sorta) but i will not let them on the couch or bed untill it wears off to the point i can't smell it anymore. i also pet them less. well, less petting on the back and sides. i try to keep my hands away from the main application area and go for the head and belly rubs. i had a cat once that needed some ear drops. the stuff was so carcinogenic that i had to wear gloves during the application. i guess the idea was that the cat wouldn't live long enough to develope cancer, but i would. i wonder about frontline everytime i put it on them.

Used to use frontline in the tick infested va and it worked really well. We now use avantix but we don't need it that often.

We don't use anything and our dog doesn't have fleas????

Fred

concretejungle said:
Anyone use Advantix?

FLEA MEDICINE??????

I've been taking it for Erectile Dysfunction and it works GREAT! 'Cept that time it lasted more than four hours and I ran outa friends.

Degnol said:
that time it lasted more than four hours and I ran outa friends.

You know how we fix that, don't you Ed? Needle and suck out the excess blood.... :cheers:

concretejungle said:
Anyone use Advantix?

Advantix, as I understand it, works by sterilizing the fleas. So, once the fleas bite your pet, they become sterile. Which...is nice, but doesn't control the initial infestation. It only prevents them from reproducing, so it's good for controlling the overall population, but it doesn't kill the initial infestation.

Fleabusters. Treat the carpets with boric oxide powder (acts as a dessicant) and any fleas coming into the house are killed pronto. Any on the dog are killed by the Sentinel meds he is given. It's a combination med to treat against fleas and heartworm.

dieseldog said:
Fleabusters. Treat the carpets with boric oxide powder (acts as a dessicant) and any fleas coming into the house are killed pronto. Any on the dog are killed by the Sentinel meds he is given. It's a combination med to treat against fleas and heartworm.

how does boric oxide act as a dessicant with fleas? does it dry them up?? sounds like a good idea, i have heard of using borax with roachs, but never heard about the fleas

I was using Frontline but my Sheperd kept getting hotspots from some crazy fleas immune to Frontline; switch to Advantix and haven't looked back. She has been on it for a good year and no problems with Advantix.

Frontline is fipronil. It is a good product, absorbs into the hair follicles, won't wash off, lasts for up to 3 months for fleas. It has been around long enough that there are reports of resistant fleas.

K-9 Advantix is a combination of Advantage (imidocloprid), which works well on fleas, plus permethrin, which is what is in most OTC spot on flea medications. The combination works well to kill and repel fleas and ticks. It is not the medication which sterilizes the fleas.

Program (lufenuron) is an oral medication which sterilizes the flea.

All of them have their place and can work in the right circumstances. We use K-9 Advantix in our practice, because ticks are much more of a problem than fleas in the desert southwest, and much harder to control.

The main problem with the topical OTC spot-on products is they are lower concentration, so they don't last as long, and they wash and or wear off fairly easily, so when the label says to use them monthly, it's probably won't cut it.

Also, permethrin can be toxic to cats, so dogs that are in direct contact with cats should not use the product, including K-9 Advantix.

Now I have to get back to work.

Thanks Hank, great info. It seems that either Frontline or Advantix both are excellent products. I have had great sucess so far with Frontline, it's just killing my cash-flow.

I have also heard of putting seven dust on your dog.

Hank, one quick question you may be able to help, i have a lab and live within walking distance of a lake. My dog swims at least 3 to 4 days a week. You think if i put the frontline on him and don't let him swim for 48 hours the stuff will stay on, or will it eventually wash off with that much swimming? I'm just wondering how much of my money is wasted in the lake.

Good question. They haven't studied or really quantified how much water it takes to wash it off, but since Frontline stays in the hair follicles and gradually comes out as the hair grows, it should be fairly durable. It has become available OTC in many places, so you might check around. We quit carrying it, and only stock Advantix because of the tick problem here.

One other option would be to combine Frontline- use it every 3 months, with a Preventic Plus collar. Most collars are not effective, but the Preventic plus collar, labeled to last 3 months, is very effective in conjunction with something like Frontline.

And Sevin dust is pretty good at irritating the upper airway of fleas and ticks- maybe giving them a head cold. Beyond that, I wouldn't waste my time with it.

hank14 said:
Frontline is fipronil. It is a good product, absorbs into the hair follicles, won't wash off, lasts for up to 3 months for fleas. It has been around long enough that there are reports of resistant fleas.

K-9 Advantix is a combination of Advantage (imidocloprid), which works well on fleas, plus permethrin, which is what is in most OTC spot on flea medications. The combination works well to kill and repel fleas and ticks. It is not the medication which sterilizes the fleas.

Program (lufenuron) is an oral medication which sterilizes the flea.

All of them have their place and can work in the right circumstances. We use K-9 Advantix in our practice, because ticks are much more of a problem than fleas in the desert southwest, and much harder to control.

The main problem with the topical OTC spot-on products is they are lower concentration, so they don't last as long, and they wash and or wear off fairly easily, so when the label says to use them monthly, it's probably won't cut it.

Also, permethrin can be toxic to cats, so dogs that are in direct contact with cats should not use the product, including K-9 Advantix.

Now I have to get back to work.

Have always used Frontline on my Lab but now seriously considering alternative organic, natural non-toxic solution like Flea-N-Tick Be Gone...comes well recomended - just a little more effort to apply? How long it will last I don't know - I do know it has Tea Tree oil, maybe Rosemary and others.

http://store.arbico-organics.com/1452501.html

Bio Spot Spray Non Aerosol

We use the Bio Spot spray. Non Aerosol.

It works good. 5 dogs that come in and out (dog door) as they please.

That is 440 pounds of dogs in and out of the house all day and we haven't had any problems with fleas/ticks.

We do have a problem keeping plenty of dog food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.R.

Advantix actually has a picture of a cat with a line through it on the package. Scared my wife, so we use Frontline. Works good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom