simple question... what is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I broke this in the process of replacing my valve cover gasket. I barely touched it and it snapped off:
IMG_0240.jpg

And as far as what this gas filter does - below was shamelessly plagiarized from another post.

That's a dampened vacuum source for the Fuel Pressure Regulator. It's dampened to soften sudden changes in throttle position vs fuel pressure. Although the engine can run with FPR open to atmosphere, that vacuum source is critical for proper fuel regulation. It's the primary source of calculated engine "load" in the EFI system tables

thanks for both of those explanations. Sorry, I tried to search for it, but must not have used the correct google foo.

thanks

The part number search looks like the right thing, but "gas filter", that doesn't make sense. there isn't any fuel at that point in the intake. I'll order the part.

The part number search looks like the right thing, but "gas filter", that doesn't make sense. there isn't any fuel at that point in the intake. I'll order the part.
Yes it is a gas filter, strange name but that is the part.

Based on what I learned here, I did some more searching. I understand what's happening it is now.
I just barely touched that darn thing in the process of replacing my valve cover gasket and it snapped off. I guess that's to be expected after 25 years and 320k miles.

Based on what I learned here, I did some more searching. I understand what's happening it is now.
I just barely touched that darn thing in the process of replacing my valve cover gasket and it snapped off. I guess that's to be expected after 25 years and 320k miles.
Yep, rubber and plastic at this point is getting pretty brittle.

This was a better result than when I resealed the oil pan... in the process of lifting the engine a bit, the little fitting on the radiator snapped off and the heater valve broke. :(
Just means I shouldn't have the top of my radiator explode or the heater valve break (it was already leaking) at some really bad moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom