Simple diy roof rack! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Gang!

Here are a few notes as to how I created my roof rack. First off the whole system is based off of the excellent Gamiviti 100 series roof rack towers, I opted to utilize all four factory available mounting points. I mounted the towers and sealed them with liberal amounts of Permatex gasket maker #2. The #2 is important as it signifies that it's a non hardening sealant that will still maintain its seal while allowing for a small tiny little bit of flex that may occur during use and it will also allow removal of the hardware if ever needed.

For the main frame of the rack I used very commonly available "uni-strut" metal channel from home depot. I used the skinny channel as the deeper strut has a higher profile, weighs more and would be drastically overkill. I used uni-strut single hole per side 90 degree angle brackets as the connectors please reference the pictures to see how I oriented the strut and angle brackets. I mostly used 3/8" bolts, and lots of fender washers along with lock washers for the fasteners instead of the suggested uni-strut hardware. I first mounted the main four cross bars to each pair of towers, I chose to cut all cross bars at 52" wide. Once the main 4 cross bars were mounted to the towers I was able to mount the 2 long bars that run the length of the car.

I made the long bars 90" long, and made sure to mount them so that the finished rack did not make contact with the rear hatch when fully open. Once the two long bars were mounted I added the front and rear most cross bars followed by two additional cross bars within the more open areas of rack, to create a little better load distribution. It takes alot of fine tuning and messing about to make sure all the parts line up well.

Once I was happy with the fit up and alignment I unbloted it from the towers and had my wife help me lift the rack off the car. I chose to spray paint the metal frame after deburring and thoroughly cleaning the metal with acetone. I made an almost embarrassingly simple rotisserie paint pivot system with some metal rods, zip ties a ladder and a random stand I had laying around. This rotisserie made it suuuuuper easy to paint the whole rack and allowed excellent access to the inside walls of the uni-strut channel. I used primer first followed by gloss black spray paint.

While the paint hardened up for a couple days I cut and prepped the six Ipe wood runners that lay on top of the rack. The wood is to prevent my load from rubbing the paint off the metal rack and it looks cool!!! Ipe is a very hard durable wood that is well suited for exterior applications. I finished it fully on all sides with dalys brand seafin teak oil, it's a very thin penetrating oil that is easy to maintain. I temporarily re mounted the rack to determine how close to the outer edges I could mount the 2 outer most wood rails without them interfering with the tower mounting bolts. Then I pulled the rack back off laid out the 6 wood rails evenly and mounted them from below using small stainless wood screws and stainless fender washers. I used 2 screws at each place the wood contacted the metal rack, which is alot of screws and fender washers (pre drilling with a depth stop of course!)

The last couple additions I plan to add will be wood rub rails on the outer most edges of each the driver and passenger sides of the rack and also some sort of wind fairing (maybe made from wood!!!)

This is a very stout rack, it's not super light like some others but I like it, I built it myself and it has a mess of places to secure things. In all I bet I have about $500 into building it.

Hope this is interesting to some!

20170723_181312.jpg

20170723_181410.jpg

20170724_183314.jpg

20170724_183319.jpg

20170724_183336.jpg

Thank you for the right up! This is a very nice system you put together. You have endless strap points for accessories too. How's the wind noise?

What gauge did you go with?

Last edited:
14 gauge strut. Before the wood was added the whooshing was pretty noticeable. Now that the wood is up there disrupting airflow it has calmed the noise down alot. I still want to see if a fairing will help even more.

Very nice job! I built a wood rack for my FJ62 (called it a surfari rack) but with aluminum pipe & hardware and cedar. Had to restain every year but the ipe should be good for a couple years between stains I would imagine. I was going to go the same route for my 100 but then the drawer thing started up and I had no time ;)

Still nothing like doing something yourself!

land-sharks-rack-png.1405851

Nice Job!

I have a bunch of plastic decking left over from a project, this has be thinking!

that looks great! good job on the rack. been thinking of building one myself as well but using aluminum. mind getting some measurements for me? what's the dimension of the channel on the roof (width at the very bottom and height). tia.

I thought long and hard about building a rack out of 80/20 aluminum extrusions, prior to just buying one from Frontrunner... The cost would have been cheaper from 80/20, but it probably wouldn't look quite as nice...

Not even close to being a Toyota, but got ideas from members here on this forum for my diy roof basket, thanks everybody!. Measures 72"X44" built to hold full sheets of plyood or dywall, and use it alot for camping. Holds 3 full size mountain bikes, tents and gear so I still have room inside for mu buddies. 1/2" emt conduit bolted together with carriage bolts and nylon nuts. Crossbars I made with some left over C channel from when I still did steelwork then 1 1/2" rolled steel square tubing. Looks pretty ghetto sitting atop my 2005 Volkswagen golf diesel, but had the need to haul more stuff. Difficult to haul plywood inside a hatchback! Thanks again for the ideas guys and girls!

Great work. I'm seriously considering using your ideas for a rack. Thanks for posting.

Hi Gang!

Here are a few notes as to how I created my roof rack. First off the whole system is based off of the excellent Gamiviti 100 series roof rack towers, I opted to utilize all four factory available mounting points. I mounted the towers and sealed them with liberal amounts of Permatex gasket maker #2. The #2 is important as it signifies that it's a non hardening sealant that will still maintain its seal while allowing for a small tiny little bit of flex that may occur during use and it will also allow removal of the hardware if ever needed.
...snip.

I love seeing the DIY projects. I spent a lot of time researching roof racks for my LX but $1000 plus!?. Ended up using 80/20 to build mine and I really liked the look of Prinsu so I copied their basic design and actually used their wind deflector. Cost about $500 to build plus $90 for deflector. Light bar was extra

PXL_20201011_144720845.jpg

PXL_20201011_174223326.jpg

PXL_20201011_205202057.jpg

PXL_20201011_174303026.jpg

Last edited:
I love seeing the DIY projects. I spent a lot of time researching roof racks for my LX but $1000 plus!?. Ended up using 80/20 to build mine and I really liked the look of Prinsu so I copied their basic design and actually used their wind deflector. Cost about $500 to build plus $90 for deflector. Light bar was extra

View attachment 2569150

View attachment 2569156

View attachment 2569162

View attachment 2569166
I really like this. I’ve been looking around at various racks and diy projects wondering why most people seem to use flat bar instead of 80/20 for the sides. i guess cost but it seems much more useful to have t slots there. I also like that you filled the gap where the roof slopes at the front with extensions. That’s one of my pet peeves with the other diy racks. Yours looks great. Any comments on the build for someone that might try something similar?

View attachment 2569150

View attachment 2569156

View attachment 2569162

View attachment 2569166
I got something similar, what details can you spare regarding the “legs” or mounts for the rack? Do you have the measurements? :)

Awesome!

much appreciated tzyz!!
Here are some pics and measurements I used. For the brackets I used 3x3 aluminum angle stock and cut it up. Also used 1" spacers under the brackets. The only problem I ran into is that the rear of the vehicle is wider than the front so my front brackets actually went inside the middle of the rail instead of on the side of it. But it all worked out.
20210330_131442.jpg

Rear Bracket

20210330_131453.jpg

Middle Bracket

20210330_131459.jpg

Front bracket

20210330_131514.jpg

20210330_131532.jpg

Here are some pics and measurements I used. For the brackets I used 3x3 aluminum angle stock and cut it up. Also used 1" spacers under the brackets. The only problem I ran into is that the rear of the vehicle is wider than the front so my front brackets actually went inside the middle of the rail instead of on the side of it. But it all worked out.
View attachment 2630840
Rear Bracket

View attachment 2630843
Middle Bracket

View attachment 2630845

Front bracket

View attachment 2630850

View attachment 2630851

Awesome!

much appreciated tzyz!!
Here is a couple more pics

20210330_131835.jpg

20210330_131756.jpg

20210330_131644.jpg

20210330_131625.jpg

20210330_131601.jpg

View attachment 2630840
Rear Bracket

View attachment 2630843
Middle Bracket

View attachment 2630845

Front bracket

View attachment 2630850

View attachment 2630851
Thanks for the useful information, time to finish mine 🤕

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom