Silverton bans OHVs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I heard the town council banned OHV (ATV, UTV, SxS and MCs that are not street legal) from the town limits last night. Don't know that it will affect our crowd much, if any, but wondered people's opinions on it.

Interested to see how this plays out. Comments on the newspaper’s Facebook page seems to indicate a counter proposal is afoot.
I avoid the silverton trails because of the OHV trail traffic, not sure a partial ban in town would change my plans

I am amazed at the amount of ATV traffic that has increased over the years in Silverton and on trails. I have found them to be a bit of a PIA, but they are easier to pass than another vehicle. I wonder what this will do to Silverton businesses, like the ATV rentals, the RV parks and more?

so it looks like there are still routes in Silverton, I think.
Off-highway vehicles are prohibited on all streets, alleys, and rights-of-way within the Town of Silverton.

And then there is this

The Town of Silverton welcomes OHVs, ATVs, unlicensed motorcycles and other vehicles into town along designated and limited routes year round with access to county roads and the Alpine Loop.

LOOK FOR NEW BLUE ON ROUTE SIGNAGE

I think some of the details on that page are out of date and just needs to be updated. From what I have heard, no unlicensed OHVs will be allowed in the city limits of Silverton. I think a small subset of the ATV/UTV/SXS crowd, the really rowdy and disrespectful types, has worn out their welcome in the town. And since enforcement of ordinances is harder and more expensive than just an all out ban, the town council voted 4-3 to ban them in the town limits. It goes into effect in 30 days. I feel bad for all the people who made reservations a year ago and can't get a refund on their reservations but don't have the right combination of vehicles/trailers to be able to trailer their machine to a staging area outside the town limits.

Regarding tourism dollars, Silverton has only allowed ATVs on designated routes since about 2015. I'm sure they will survive just fine with the loss of some revenue from this crowd but maybe others will come back to make up for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom