Builds Silver Surfer Build 1985 Fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So here it will start. I have owned and sold many Cruisers. This one, i believe, is special and will stay with me for a long while. In that thought, I will for the first time start a build thread to document it's progress throughout my ownership.

Bought it local from a guy who recently purchased it on Ebay in Idaho. He liked the idea of having an old Cruiser but in practice, it was killing him financially. He did not turn wrenches at all. Whenever it leaked something, he took it to the shop. Whenever it made a funny noise... and on and on. So I bought it as it looks here.
IMG_5043.JPG

7/85 Fj60 with 105K miles. Brand new OME heavy lift with 5 new 33/10.5 Mud Terrains on stock wheels. A huge stack of maintenance and parts receipts to boot! Fresh paint in factory (Stardust Silver)

First job was removing tint from windows and a general interior treasure hunt / cleaning. Then put in an order at @Cruiser Corps for some fj40 steelies. Mounted them on newer 33/10.5 BFG ATs and will now call the outside DONE (for now).

Next was the stereo situation. Had a newer Sony headunit that flashed all kinds of colors and would never remember the settings (no constant power). Luckily, he had a stocker radio that came with it. Put a new Smittybilt console in and wired head unit in it and put stocker back in dash hole.
IMG_5172.JPG

Other interior bits... added a 62 grab bar and throttle cable and some Pfran LED dome lights.

So now we are current! Big changes are coming as I have a H55f on its way (thank you @beno ) and a transfer case rebuild kit (thank you @orangefj45 ) I will post pics and ask tons of questions along the way as this is ,by far my biggest undertaking yet!

This is how she sits today.
IMG_5390.JPG
IMG_5393.JPG

Last edited:
The 40 series steelies give even the 60s a classy look. Congrats, good luck, and We'll be happy to help you out any way we can. Sounds like you have some fun projects ahead of you!

- Josh

Silver has always been my favorite color for the 60. You've got quite the catch! Out of curiosity, did yours windows crank up/down easier after you removed the tint? Mine are a huge pain to roll up and down.

@Cruiser Corps What are you insinuating Josh? (steelies give even the 60s a classy look):cautious:

@FishTown not really. The window on the front passenger side was stubborn and still is now. I need to get in the panel and look at the regulator. I will say this... removing the tint absolutely transformed the interior "experience". Very open now!

@Cruiser Corps What are you insinuating Josh? (steelies give even the 60s a classy look):cautious:

Jus' sayin'... They're not JUST for the 40s. ;)

If our customers would let us, I'd put those wheels/hubcaps and BFG 33x10.50 KO2 or KM2 on every 60 we built! Love the look.

@gregnash You say that now... When I'm under it trying to mate everything up inventing new cuss words, you may feel differently!

I take pics of EVERYTHING! I will update as I get started. Doing clutch, rebuilding transfer case, replacing rear main seal, and who knows what else when all is said and done. I WILL have questions!?!?

Yup. ...and thanks! Wheels looked great and tires were almost new. Just a preference I have against the Mud Terrains and for the 40 steelies.

Wagon looks really good, I enjoy the oem+ styling.

I do have a small request if you have a free minute, what is the height of the truck from ground to highest point? Before I pull the trigger with 33s and lift, I was wondering what my clearance will be and if it will fit in my garage.

@mattressking 76.25" at the rear. OME heavys on BFG 33s. "Oem +" is about as perfect a description for my taste in builds. This was the last project...
IMG_3898.JPG

Kind of but not really. I would love to have both ideally but I don't usually divide my efforts up too well. One at a time is my game. It's funny now that a good 60 is much harder to find today. Cash for Clunkers seems to have decimated their ranks. 40s are easier to find because a lot of people are rescuing them being that now there is money in them and they were too old for the rebate program.

@mattressking 76.25" at the rear. OME heavys on BFG 33s. "Oem +" is about as perfect a description for my taste in builds. This was the last project...View attachment 1377620

You're the man! That officially gives me enough room to fit, now I get to start ordering.

The 40 is gorgeous but I get it, once the project is done, it's time to hunt for the next.

IMG_2105.JPG
Great looking 60!!!!!!

You'll love the H55F upgrade. We've done a number of these conversions and every single customer was beyond pleased.

Here's an FJ62 receiving the same transmission at our shop. Should be driving it tomorrow.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Looking forward to more pics and progress on yours!

Thanks again for the order!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Awesome Georg! Wish your shop were in my small town. So got most of my parts in and started disconnecting everything. Driveshafts have probably never been off (they were obscenely tight!). Won that battle and now am trying to figure out the transfer shift linkage and what to disconnect. After this, all should be free and ready to drop cross member and the trans/transfer.
IMG_5419.JPG
IMG_5420.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom