Silver Back Lives on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These photos also really show how the paint color changes in different light. I really like this paint it grows on me everyday. Baby blue to almost grey in some lights.

Glass in amby doors and side panel. WD40 greased the skids. using a Shoe string pulled thru the channel and a nice hard finger worked well. Window goes in from the outside, push in as you move around the inside pulling the rubber weatherstrip in and over the inside lip. The WD40 was only put on the rubber , inside the channel. Wiped it off immediately as i was afraid it might effect the new paint.

pic

IMAG0657.jpg

Thanks 69LC, its so fun to just work on it. I need to throw something out there. I Put in a want ad for a passenger side rubber window seal for the hardtop. I have one on the original glass, but it is not the best. Looking for one in real good shape. I see from SOR that they are discontinued from Toyota, so i need to find a real good used one.

Thanks 69LC, its so fun to just work on it. I need to throw something out there. I Put in a want ad for a passenger side rubber window seal for the hardtop. I have one on the original glass, but it is not the best. Looking for one in real good shape. I see from SOR that they are discontinued from Toyota, so i need to find a real good used one.

CityRacer’s rubber is really nice. I’ll check in my stuff to see if we have one.

Thanks Jdc1 i looked at City Racer
"Set of 2 long side window weatherstrips for 7/'71 to 8/'76 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 without a rear vent window."
Wondering how Accurate reproduction is?. As i wanted it to match the outer-profile of the amby door weatherstrips. Hard to tell from pic. If anyone has option of this, would love to hear how well it is an Equivalent to discontinued OEM part # 62741-90300. I am surprised too that the Same part fits LH and RH side ....as one corner has a bigger radius and would be a mirror image left to right. But its rubber so maybe i am over thinking it. If you have a good used one i would definitely be interested. I assembled the window with old one for now, will probably redo it next season.

I did order the
Set of 4 door top bow packings or 7/72-10/84 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40: So many little rubber pcs it appears it still need to complete the hardtop install.

Pics of progress: This a kind of a temporary install at this point , until i get all the rubber gaskets. However i have one HUGE CONCERN with the Hardtop. Will it fit thru the garage door opening with it one. The soft top does not fit. However , the Hardtop by measuring should just fit. Hard to tell by just setting it on thier. THe bolts should suck it down and counting on the weight of it to slightly sag the suspension Etc. ITs going to be tight it sits about 7 ft tall and hard to measure the peak of the top as it crests in the middle.....and i only have millimetres of clearance by guesstimates. My only garage door is 7 ft opening. Fingers Crossed, i would hate to have to deflate the tires everytime or having to load the family in it just to get it out the door. NOR is gaining weight an option.

IMG_5671.jpg

@RTP your garage looks like it was built out of dairy blocks.
Ha Yeah , it reminds me of my grade school too. ITs that 1960's subway tile. Funny i am so use to it i dont notice it anymore , but i remember saying the same thing when i first looked at the house to buy....thought OK interesting....now i love the fact i can powerwash the walls if need to.

Fitting parts. Front doors fit good. Hardtop seems to have a driver side lean? Discovered the amby doors are quite difficult to get right. Seems like i am out of adjustment for up, gap is hard to keep even. Pre paint i already drilled out the holes in the hinges anticipating these issues. Thinking Maybe the bedliner is holding the sides up , as it is very thick and wrapped around the lip.? OR maybe i have not sucked down the sides enough? Tweaked tweaked and tweaked but just not right. But the bigger issue is that the rear spare tire is right up on the door and yeti rack interferes with the amby door hinge. So i am going to have to space the bumper out. Well have to look at it again after the holiday. Some progress pics

IMG_3491.JPG

IMG_3493.JPG

I dont like having paint on paint so i have been putting a gasket on some points that see to be prone to rattle and rust. Have this non latex band from an old ankle injury that figured it would be a nice barrier.

IMG_3489.JPG

IMG_5672.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

Did you put the longer pinned Quik Hinge door halves on the bottom of your front doors? I designed them that way so it’s easier to line up the bottom first and drop the top in.
I think i have it the opposite where the longer pin is on the top and shorter on bottom. Either way i dont have a problem with getting them on and off. That is a nice thoughtfull feature. I have done it several times and look for the top first and then the bottom, wiggle a little and it goes on. Actually taking them off is easier than going on. I do have a problem with inner hinges. With the weatherstripping on the door is to tight in the front. I had to loosen the inner hinges and adjust all the way out but still was not enough. As they were already pretty much adjusted all the way out. I am going to have to slot the holes in the inner hinge to bring the door out more. And we all know messing with the inner hinge is ....well not fun to say the least. First its tight area, second bolts dont want to hand screw out after lose, third i have the vintage AC installed, and fuse box on driver side blocking access. Are you the designer of the quick hinge? Love the concept, one improvement would be slotting the inner hinge holes for outer adjustment. The door was tight without the weather stripping, i was wishful thinking that it had enough clearance with but door will not shut with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom