1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silly Winch Ground to Battery Question

Discussion in 'VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club' started by Felix, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Felix

Felix

Sometimes I have a question that is so painfully remedial that I'm almost embarrassed to ask. This is such a question.

When I installed my winch, I used a marine battery that had auxiliary terminal posts on the front. My new battery does not.

Any recommendations for connecting the ground cable? The negative terminal does not have an easy-access post like the positive side does. I'd like to not have to cut the stock wire clamp off only to crimp it to an aftermarket terminal.

Any reason I shouldn't put the wire ring under the nut that holds the clamp on the battery terminal?

IMG_0765.JPG

Jakes40 likes this.
  2. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

Attach it to the cable clamp bolt.

Jakes40 likes this.
  3. Jakes40

Jakes40 IH8MUD Poser SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Drill and to the post!?!?

I have some clamps like the pick I can get them it Alexandria or D.C. Tomorrow. But you will have to cut your old clamp off.

IMG_2561.JPG

These clamps work but are not as foot as the original you have.

4. emorth

emorth

Can you reroute the winch's ground wire to where the battery's ground wire attaches to the chassis (or engine block wherever it is attached) and connect it there? Is the battery cable the same gauge or bigger than the winch cable? If the battery cable is a smaller gauge don't do it.

kulangot and Jakes40 like this.
  5. Blue77FJ40

Blue77FJ40 SILVER Star

Felix, I use military battery clamps such as this. You may have to cut your stock cables and add cable ends such as below using silver solder and a small torch.

Hope this helps.

Military Battery clamp.png Battery Cable End.png

Jakes40 likes this.
  6. Felix

Felix

Thanks, everyone!

Chris and Dan, thanks for the offer and advice, but I think I'll try to figure something out without cutting the stock cable. At least for now.

Ed, good call. I'll check out the stock battery ground cable location and gauge. If that doesn't work, I'll take the Bob approach.

Jakes40 likes this.
  7. matzell

matzell

Best bet is the military connection. You really want the ground going straight to the battery. You could melt the chassis connection with a hard pull.

kulangot and Jakes40 like this.
  8. L8Shift

L8Shift

Just to add on to the options, we use this type on boats, and are available at AAP.
    This may lead to upgrading your battery cables.. or at least just the terminal, which is probably not a bad idea.. (my next on the to do list)

6283144_atc_ac167a1510422_alt1_larg.jpg

Jakes40 likes this.
  9. emorth

emorth

Melting any connection is the result of bad design, poor implementation, improper maintenance (dirty or loose connections) and/or inadequate protection (fuse/circuit breaker). I have also seen melted battery posts because of improper wiring at the clamp.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    kulangot, Jakes40 and 76FJ40 like this.
  10. Felix

Felix

"... bad design, poor implementation and/or improper maintenance:" The Felix Stump Story.

kulangot, Crusha, Jakes40 and 3 others like this.