Silly Winch Ground to Battery Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sometimes I have a question that is so painfully remedial that I'm almost embarrassed to ask. This is such a question.

When I installed my winch, I used a marine battery that had auxiliary terminal posts on the front. My new battery does not.

Any recommendations for connecting the ground cable? The negative terminal does not have an easy-access post like the positive side does. I'd like to not have to cut the stock wire clamp off only to crimp it to an aftermarket terminal.

Any reason I shouldn't put the wire ring under the nut that holds the clamp on the battery terminal?

IMG_0765.JPG

Attach it to the cable clamp bolt.

Drill and to the post!?!?

I have some clamps like the pick I can get them it Alexandria or D.C. Tomorrow. But you will have to cut your old clamp off.

IMG_2561.JPG

These clamps work but are not as foot as the original you have.

Felix, I use military battery clamps such as this. You may have to cut your stock cables and add cable ends such as below using silver solder and a small torch.

Hope this helps.

Military Battery clamp.png
Battery Cable End.png

Thanks, everyone!

Chris and Dan, thanks for the offer and advice, but I think I'll try to figure something out without cutting the stock cable. At least for now.

Ed, good call. I'll check out the stock battery ground cable location and gauge. If that doesn't work, I'll take the Bob approach.

Best bet is the military connection. You really want the ground going straight to the battery. You could melt the chassis connection with a hard pull.

Just to add on to the options, we use this type on boats, and are available at AAP.
This may lead to upgrading your battery cables.. or at least just the terminal, which is probably not a bad idea.. (my next on the to do list)

6283144_atc_ac167a1510422_alt1_larg.jpg

Best bet is the military connection. You really want the ground going straight to the battery. You could melt the chassis connection with a hard pull.

Melting any connection is the result of bad design, poor implementation, improper maintenance (dirty or loose connections) and/or inadequate protection (fuse/circuit breaker). I have also seen melted battery posts because of improper wiring at the clamp.

Last edited:
"... bad design, poor implementation and/or improper maintenance:" The Felix Stump Story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom