Silly question - Bolt on Tailgate. Does it fit OVER or IN (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I have a factory tailgate tub (1971) I am fitting a ambulance door top. (chopped the doors down)

Purchased a Real Steel Cruisers Bolt on Tail gate. Really nice piece, looks great (shipping took forever, but worth the wait)

Kind of debating if I want to box the gate and make it a fold down gate or just leave it a bolt on for now.

My question: Does the gate sit flush with the rear tub, or do the sides over lap the tub?

My rear of the tub is "loose" and I'm trying to get it all square and lined up.
The opening I have right now is about 41.98"

I am installing new quaters and supports so I can make it fit either. Just cant figure this one out.

Thanks!

0.jpg

If my question isn't clear enough, here is another view.

Should my tub extend to the red line? So the gate can overlap, potentially allowing me to use a flat weatherstrip/seal of some kind?
This area was mostly rotted away on this truck so I didn't have much to work with.
0.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the shot of the inside of the gate.

I am assuming the gate sits over (green line) the tub on the top and flush in (red solid) with the the 90* supports on the side and on (red dotted). Meaning I'll need to adjust the tub opening a little closer to 40"
ds.JPG

ds.JPG

No idea how that one is intended to fit, as that was made exclusively with the 75 and up in mind.
Good to know, thanks.

Per their site: "FJ40 Bolt on tailgate is designed for all year FJ40 and simply bolts on using existing holes on the body. License plate mount can be welded on either side. 1979-84 Models has radius bottom corners for proper fitment." and also just stating "Vehicles before 1974 will require drilling." on SOR

Might just be up to the user to make it work. I'll readjust the opening and go from there. Thanks for your input Brian.

Good to know, thanks.

Per their site: "FJ40 Bolt on tailgate is designed for all year FJ40 and simply bolts on using existing holes on the body. License plate mount can be welded on either side. 1979-84 Models has radius bottom corners for proper fitment." and also just stating "Vehicles before 1974 will require drilling." on SOR

Since the hinge location changed between barn doors and ambulance doors it's not a one stlye just bolts on to all. I would have to check a hard drive to to find the picture but I set a tailgate inside the notched section of a 10/75 FJ40LV. It was flush with the back. The plate welded to the back would work find on ambulance door model. Besides being wrong location for barn doors up to 74 at least would be a gap between plate and tub. Barn door hinges are made with an offset while ambulance hinges were made for a flush fit.

Here is how that tailgate sits on my '77 when I have the top off. Note, the previous owner of the tailgate cut the mounting tabs and used a set of OEM hinges to install it. I lined the inner channels with a thin foam tape & drilled two holes for the license plate wiring before installation.

DSC05183.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom