signaw power steer problems HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a sbc with a 4 turn 4 bolt box (in front of the frame)and signaw pump, all parts are from a junk yard.

The problem, It feals like manual steering.
For good measure i filled the system, blead the system, draned it, filled and blead it agan.

Symptoms I'm notising
With the front tires off the ground, engine off ( 1 finger lock to lock) i'ts easer to steer than with the engine running ( 4 fingers and some errort). I know that sounds weerd but i'ts dooing it.

With engine off cycle steering. (by pushing on tires or turning wheel) It will build extra oil untill you stop cycling. ie every thing at rest oil level at full mark, turn wheel oil pukes out resivore. Also when pushing on the tires it will be hard but still move fine, then all of a sudden go real easy. This makes me think air bubble?

With tires on the ground not much difference in steering effort between engine running and not.

There is no noises, ie loose belt low fluid, and no oil leaks.

I've been working on it 1 1/2 years and want to go wheeling with it for the first time this weekend PLEASE HELP!

your pump needs to be replaced. Drive it , does it work while driving ?
FWIW mine will not turn lock to lock sitting in driveway , works fine if you jack it up , won't do it sitting still , squeels and such. driving and wheeling works fine.

Thanks
Steers eqally as hard on gravel and even drivng I'ts alittle better but not much, feals like manual.

I'm cerous if it could be the seals internally in box. On the other hand the outer seals arn't leaking, is it then possable to assume the inner seals are ok?

ok

Has the steering ever been ok? Are these new symptoms?

If symptoms are new, just go get a new reman pump for like $40.00. Always says it's for a 79 chevy pickup. That always seem to be easiest/cheapest. You will have to borrow a puller to remove your pulley. Autozone or Advance will do the loan a tool thing.

Let us know.

JR

you got the hoses hooked up correctly?

"With the front tires off the ground, engine off ( 1 finger lock to lock) i'ts easer to steer than with the engine running ( 4 fingers and some errort). "

40 hasent been driven till yesterday, this it a new system, as new as it gets from a junk yard.
I allso thought the lines were backwards. Tried to search yesterday if I had the pressure and return lines correct. I diddent find much but according to what I did find, thay are correct. Large port on the box is the pressure side.

I'm in the process of changing the pump, again not new but was working in the car win it was recked and i had it lying around.

the thing that gets me is that it is HARDER to turn when the engine is on.

And you shoudl be able to easily turn your tires in teh driveway with the motor on. That is why PS is so nice :D

Was the box in the accident too?

I agree :confused:

The pump was on a circle track car, the box was on some gm car that i found in a old junk yard that was beaing dismantled for scrap steel.
I had a hard time telling but it looked like a late 60's, hard telling how long it's been sitting.

I'm going to finish the pump install when the baby takes her afternoon nap.

I called AGR yesterday, I doo have the lines correct. The port closest to the input shaft of the box is the pressure port.
They couldent help with much else over the phone, other than make absouletly shoure the system is blead. And your hoses are in good shape so they dont suck air, eaven if you dont have eany oil leaks it is possible to still suck air.

After changing the pump I did notice a difference, now with tires off the ground running or not it takes the same effort lock to lock.
Tires on the ground still cant turn'em with engine running.
Driving it's deffentaly better feals like power steering, but as soon as you articulate the suspension at all forget about turning the wheel.
The plan: run it for know, when i have time i'll rebuild the box or get a new one (allready taped this one for hvdro assist).

Thanks for the help, eany more info would be great!

It really sounds like the box is bad to me..

I would send it to Matt at west texas off road to be set up for hydro assist.

Pees, if you have that much trouble with the truck on level ground something is not quite right. And it will not work well for you when you are crawling. Mine still does not have as much assist on the rocks as I would like and that is with a 2" ram helping out. But I can turn the wheel on the pavement with almost no effort..

Update

I finally got do some wheeling "some", Ended up braking the pinion but thats a different thing. After about 1 hr of fighting manual steering something came loose, the piston in the steering box. Now with 35-12.5's on pavement at idle 1 finger lock to lock. Thats the way it should be. So if it's harder to turn with the engine off than running your piston is stuck.

Happy wheeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom