side windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So long as the 77 top does not have the kick out rear windows...

Good luck!

-Steve

get the correct windows because the kick outs are nice to have.

IMO they are a necessity and you don't want to chop up your top and have to deal with sealing issues. The glass should be fairly cheap to have made at a glass shop, they are just flat pieces. Then for the kickouts just order the little tabs and latch from SOR.

I wish there was a way to roll down the amby door glass. That would rock. I was thinking about making them have kickout ability at the bottom edge. That would be pretty nice too.

I have a 74 so I have the nice rear lift gate. I think the rear vent windows look dumb with the front wing windows plus I have a 76 hood. I don't want it to look like a frankenstien any more than it is. Oh yea, I have a tail gate and took the swing doors off. BTW all the glass is fine and to cut tempered glass ain't cheap.
And nobody answered my question

nick said:
I have a 74 so I have the nice rear lift gate. I think the rear vent windows look dumb with the front wing windows plus I have a 76 hood. I don't want it to look like a frankenstien any more than it is. Oh yea, I have a tail gate and took the swing doors off. BTW all the glass is fine and to cut tempered glass ain't cheap.

I would prefer the "nice" amby doors over the lift gate anyday. You have a point with the vented door windows but I'd still like the rears. I guess cheap is a subjective term. I thought you got a couple of answers to your Q. Hell if all else fails go measure the damn things!!!. Oh and be nice... :flipoff2:

Poser said:
So long as the 77 top does not have the kick out rear windows...

Good luck!

-Steve

i'd think rear kickouts with vented side door windows would be great for airflow which is definitely needed in the summer.

nick said:

Shape of hood is identical, w/s hold downs are different.....

You have already installed a tail gate....

Yes I did answer your qestion. The glass will fit, as long as the top does not have the rear vent windows, and to answer your additional question about removing the pillar, I would not mess with it, for the reason already given to you by hawk...

Oh, and I can get a windshield cut for 100.00, I cannot imagine that you are going to lay down that for a side window from a glass shop....if so, find someplace else.

Good luck!

-Steve

I have been wondering for awhile why Toyota went with the Ambi doors, then I heard somebody likes them. I have always loved my lift up gate. If I want extra flow, I just open the gate close the tire carrier and set the gate back on the tire. I also have tail gates when I take the top off, and one less thing to remove when I take the top off.

If you don't like the kickout windows in the later model top why not find someone to trade tops with you. Most people who've driven these trucks with the hardtop installed when it's hot learn the value of those windows pretty quick, and finding a willing trader shouldn't be too hard in all the LA basin.

Take a look at the lip around each type of window and figure out if you're up to monkeying a way to get the earlier rubber to seal. It's a weird doglegged lip that'd take lots of rtv to make water stay out. How do you think that'll look?

The hatch is ok, but you have to open the tire carrier to open it, then open the hatch, then open the tail gate to get inside. It's a 3 step process where the amby door with the turn of one handle and you're in. And I'm lazy. With the amby door peeps can climb in and out with ease, and you can get out from the inside unlike the hatch. Kids like it cause they just pop it open when we're sitting still. Definitely an upgrade that I'm glad the engineers made. Oh and it looks cooler. ;)
IMG_0015.JPG

I guess it is a personal preference thing, I have always thought my hatch looked cool. The dance to open the hatch is somewhat long, but then again I never hualed passengers much. As a kid we always had to climb over the seats :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom