side view mirror replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched and found a lot of posts on the silicone repair. I need to know how to replace just the glass and back pad. The only thing I found was "use a heat gun." This is a little vague considering my level of experience. Could someone please give me some tips on how to accomplish this task. I don't really want to break my $50 replacement glass or bogger up the housing.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I wedged a piece of cardboard in my mirror and it works fine - on dry days, if it rains then I have to insert another piece of cardboard when the rain stops. I am going to upgrade to a closed cell product soon, I'll let you know how that turns out.

I wedged a piece of cardboard in my mirror and it works fine - on dry days, if it rains then I have to insert another piece of cardboard when the rain stops. I am going to upgrade to a closed cell product soon, I'll let you know how that turns out.

Hilarious. I did the same thing while going down the LA freeway with a folded up business card. I thought it was great but the wife didn't.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I cracked my DS mirror at the CMCC when I caught it on a tree.:doh: I have replacement glass and back pad. I am looking for info on how to replace the glass only. I assume the heat gun is to soften the plastic holding the mirror and the just pry it out and insert the new one. I was just looking for someone who has done this to give me a few tips on how to replace the mirror with out breaking the mirror or messing up the housing.

Thanks,

The more important question is where did you find a pad / glass for $50.00 and is this the ever popular shakey driver's side mirror? I think I'd part w/ $50.00 to be done messing w/ the repair cycle on mine....

Well I guess the cardboard fix is not an option at this point :)

This is not a shakey mirror problem. It is a broken mirror problem. It is an oem replacement mirror from the toyota dealer. When I smacked the tree it did nothing but break the glass. How it did this without wrecking the whole housing I have no idea.

this may be too easy of a solution/suggestion but.... why remove the broken mirror from the plastic backing? See if you can glue the new mirror on top of whatever is left of the old one. I think you'll have room around the mirror housing, and it won't affect the mirrors ability to be adjusted.

But this is just an idea, untested in the real world...

I just finished doing this on my '92. The easiest way is to remove the plastic mirror "housing" from the rest of the assembly (motor, etc.). Once you have nothing more than the plastic housing that the mirror sits in (and the pivot axis on the backside of that piece) then you can start. I cleaned my mirror housing with some wax and grease remover then peeled off the sticky backing on the pad of the new mirror. Then, starting with the largest side of the mirror (the side that sits closest to the vehicle) slip the new mirror into the housing. Using your thumbs, move carefully around the entire mirror, gently pushing the mirror down while pressing the plastic back a little so that the plastic housing slips over the top of the mirror. It's a little nerve wracking but just take your time and don't apply too much pressure. I didn't use a heat gun or any lube on mine but I can see how some soap or vaseline or a heat gun could make the job a little easier. Good luck! Let me know if you need clarification on anything.

If you use the heat gun, you can install the new glass without removing any part off your door. 1ST heat up the housing with the (hair dryer works fine) to make it more pliable. Then( I cleaned my mirror housing with some wax and grease remover then peeled off the sticky backing on the pad of the new mirror. Then, starting with the largest side of the mirror (the side that sits closest to the vehicle) slip the new mirror into the housing. Using your thumbs, move carefully around the entire mirror, gently pushing the mirror down while pressing the plastic back a little so that the plastic housing slips over the top of the mirror. It's a little nerve wracking but just take your time and don't apply too much pressure.) per Izeloz. Take it slow, don't rush and re-heat if necessary. Good luck! :cheers: -Tom

Last edited:
The pics on the FAQ's should show you how to replace the glass to the mechanized piece that tilts the glass. I understand you don't have the shakey glass problem like i did but its still going to have pics to see how to take it apart. If its not in the FAQs you can find it using the search button maybe. Don't be like me though and rip the boots that keep water out the little tilt motor. Mine still works though so i aint too worried about it. I'd do it for you since I know what to watch out for now but you probably don't live near me.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/83177-shakey-sideview-mirror-fix.html

Last edited:
Thank you gents. Harbor freight had heat guns for $10 so I got one. Hopefully it doesn't shoot flames and set the truck on fire. I guess I'll try it with out taking it off the truck first. Plan B will be to un bolt it.

Hi!i had my DS mirror broken as well.Order the glass .
I was not able to pry the glass underneath the plastic edge and i did not want to force it.I took it to the toyota dealership,i think they did not even charged me.
If i would know i can make the edge soft with a heat gun i would done it by myself.
So I think you just need to heat the edge up until it is soft enough.Probably a good thing to wear a glove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom