Side view mirror has had an aneurism (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Addis Ababa Past: Seattle, Windhoek, Dar es Salaam
Does anyone know if the motor in a retractable side view mirror is replaceable? Did 80s in North America even come with retractable side mirrors?

My left side, passenger side for me, has semi-crapped out. It retracts, but doesn't return when instructed.

I'd rather not have to replace the entire unit since it would probably require a respray but will if that's my only recourse.

Anyone know any part numbers if available.

Thanks.

I don't think any of the NA ones came with the retraction option. Even my 02 doesn't have that. My 80 does have a dyslexic drivers side mirror. It operates opposite from my passenger side. Mixed wires... probably.

Hey Lc FWIW you can take the mirror out and just change the little wires around at the bottom to make it go the right way. Pretty simple like a few minutes to do.

tromz - SWEET! I will have to look into that this week! Thanks!

yea I recomend a Magnatized screwdriver. A good multitool is a nice fit. Take the screw out remove the assembly and there are three wires hooked to the bottom. I think you leave the center one in place and switch the outside ones. I dont recall but you can work the mirror with it out till you get it right.
Dont over tighten that screw!!

I will have to pick up a magnetized screwdriver. Good idea! I was planning on doing the fix this weekend, but after having to replace my oven (went out for the 3rd time!), and changing the oil in 6 differentials (both LCs), I ran out of time. Maybe tonight!:)

can anyone tell me where is the 3 wire plug for the side mirror? I tore into the driver's door trying to find the little plug to re-terminate so that my mirror moves in the correct direction, but could NOT find the plug! Thanks!
mirror wiring.jpg

OK, so I thought I would follow up by asking this question, without the wine...:rolleyes:

I spent the bulk of the evening in the garage trying to find the connector for the drivers side mirror to swap the wires around, as is indicated in the above picture. For the life of me, I could not find the connector. This is what I tried and failed:

1. I unbolted the mirror from the door, thinking that the connector might be in there somewhere - Nope.

2. I dismantled the entire door removing about half of the plastic film the covers the underside of the door assembly, thinking that the connector was just inside the door - Nope.

3. I found the little screw on the back side of the mirror and though AH HA! and proceeded to crack the back housing of the mirror trying to remove the back cover to see if the connector was back there. I never did get the cover removed, even after removing the screw and trying to pry the tabs open. It may still be in there, but @#$#@ if I could get to it! Now, I have a cracked backside (mirror... I knew about the other backside being cracked:hillbilly:).

Please help. (where is the smiley face on his knees?) If someone can direct me to the FSM page where this is shown, or can provide a picture... oh.... bless you... I would be ever so grateful.

Thanks much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom