Side defroster vents not getting much air (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40 that green thing

1996 KZJ78 Prado
Threads
Just installed side window defrosters with used OEM parts and my stock heater setup on an 82 FJ45. I am getting plenty of air out defrost vents on windshield but I’m not getting much out of side vents if any. Is my blower motor too weak or what am I missing? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
the small tubes that go into the big defrost vertical tubes, have an angle on them to help direct some air flow to the side defrost
it is not a big air flow out the sides, you can feel it but it isn't as powerful as the windshield

i would first suggest pulling out your squirrel cage fan and cleaning it well

also remove any debris

then if no improvement

pull the heater core and hose it down good

50 years of rat terds and McDonald fries take there toll on thin copper fins and clog dog hair wife's hair

i bet you a loaf of bread size starter , you get massive improvement if you follow the prescribed above \

like hurricane force winds

DSCN4989.JPG

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve actually done all that already. Clean coil, clean blower, dismantled, cleaned out and reinstalled. Got the side vent hoses at the right angle so as to redirect airflow. Wondering if my motor might not be performing as good as it should if that is possible.

Try this experiment: disconnect the tops of the two vertical tubes, block them with a rag, and see if the side tubes get more air.

i would first suggest pulling out your squirrel cage fan and cleaning it well

also remove any debris

then if no improvement

pull the heater core and hose it down good

50 years of rat terds and McDonald fries take there toll on thin copper fins and clog dog hair wife's hair

i bet you a loaf of bread size starter , you get massive improvement if you follow the prescribed above \

like hurricane force winds

ToyotaMatt, are you suggesting replacing the blower switch will help with the fan strength? Seems like I read that somewhere.

The fan switch is easy to remove and rebuild. The copper contacts oxidize and cause poor running. That being said don't expect much from those tiny vents.

Before pulling and rebuilding the switch would do a simple jumper to the blower motor high speed with the switch off. With the switch off no risk of voltage back feeding anything else on that circuit. Engine running check the air flow out the top vent above the heater. Than disconnect the jumper and try it with the switch on high and compare the air flow. If there is a noticable difference with the switch then would check the wiring and possible the switch. Bad switch will generate heat in the switch.

ha ha, I'm certain if I plugged the upper defrost hoses, it would all go out the side hoses, I've Removed and reinstalled so many times, I know there are no obstructions. these side vents were an afterthought for toyota, lesbionest. Too bad they don't have independant inline fan controls on them.

My experience on cold mornings has been that by the time the engine's cranking out hot water to the heater, the front corners of the door windows are fogging up. Another experiment (in the interest of scientific inquiry): when you reach that fogging state, cover the defroster ducts with a towel, forcing more hot air to the door windows, then after the fogging is gone, remove the towel to maintain the now fog free windows and windshield. Genius!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom