Side Cover vs Push Rod Cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A bit of an amateurish question:

A few months ago I spent some coin replacing what the mechanic called my "push rod cover gasket." I started smelling oil again and now I have a different mechanic that wants to charge me an arm and leg to replace my "side cover gasket" which I thought was basically the same thing. Maybe I'm mistaken though? My instinct is telling me to take it back to the first mechanic and ask what went wrong.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Its the same thing! Need to use new OEM cork gasket for sure. Some use FPIG when installing, some don't like myself. But I also went back and re-torqued all the bolts about 2 weeks after install. a 1/4" drive inch lb torque wrench is needed.
Not sure what the difference is if any from the the 60 - 62 on this subject? I have a 2F

^ ^ what was written ^ ^
I suspect that the original gasket has 'bedded in' and the small bolts just need to be tightened up a bit, no need to smash them super tight, just evenly all around. It is a trick to get at all of them though.

What do you mean by smelling the oil - could be a different issue such as small drip onto exhaust ?

Removing the side cover gasket on a 62 is much more labor intensive than the same job on a 60.

I guess I want to caution you to be careful. There was a recent thread from someone who tried to tighten one of the cover bolts that was loose and it snapped off! Now he has the fun job of extracting the bolt.

Read up. Yes, a lot of work or $$. This was an article I had published in Toyota Trails a few years back.

Attachments

• Side Cover Article for TT.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
Very time intensive and painstaking. I spent a weekend replacing it and the front crank pulley gasket. Blah.
Similar headache as changing a starter on a V8 4Runner / LC motor.

I thought it was my side cover gasket but currently im leaking oil from my distributor where it mates with the block. I dont know where your leak is but I figured id throw it out there.

I thought it was my side cover gasket but currently im leaking oil from my distributor where it mates with the block. I dont know where your leak is but I figured id throw it out there.
That's interesting, usually the oil level is below that point, the oil pan is almost full, such that the crank is half submerged in oil; it could be the o-ring on the distributor shaft has hardened / shrunk such that it has allowed oil to migrate past / up?

That's interesting, usually the oil level is below that point, the oil pan is almost full, such that the crank is half submerged in oil; it could be the o-ring on the distributor shaft has hardened / shrunk such that it has allowed oil to migrate past / up?
Exactly. It looks like a side cover gasket but its not. It will be draining everywhere near the dizzy. Although a side cover gasket cannot be ruled out. A close look is necessary

Exactly. It looks like a side cover gasket but its not. It will be draining everywhere near the dizzy. Although a side cover gasket cannot be ruled out. A close look is necessary
Fun stuff (not). Might also be the fuel pump gasket ?

oil cooler could be on it's way out also

a good cleaning, run it a little and you may be able to pin point the leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom