Side Cover Bolt sheared off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is the side cover, not the oilpan.

What was clear as 'Mud has been better understood; those bolts do not need to be torqued very much, merely enough to compress the cork gasket evenly all around... I believe the sheared off one would be a real bear to get access to, with all the other components in the way.

What was clear as 'Mud has been better understood; those bolts do not need to be torqued very much, merely enough to compress the cork gasket evenly all around... I believe the sheared off one would be a real bear to get access to, with all the other components in the way

What was clear as 'Mud has been better understood; those bolts do not need to be torqued very much, merely enough to compress the cork gasket evenly all around... I believe the sheared off one would be a real bear to get access to, with all the other components in the way.
i figured as much. i hastily typed my first post and misidentifed-my mistake. this is a bummer for sure. the bolt was very loose so i gave it a gentle turn but i got the short end. right before camping season too. it leaks when i start it now.

One mans opinion: There will be NO harm with leaving as is and not attempt to fix this until you are on another project that gives you better access. As @micruz60 pointed out these bolts on the side cover are very low torque. Keep the others tight & you will be fine.

One mans opinion: There will be NO harm with leaving as is and not attempt to fix this until you are on another project that gives you better access. As @micruz60 pointed out these bolts on the side cover are very low torque. Keep the others tight & you will be fine.
I like the sound of that however it is leaking a bit when i start it-i am hesitant even try tightening the others at this point. i barely turned it and it came off but it was very loose. i am kicking myself for even messing with them at all.

If it helps you at all, I had this same leak, was disgusted at leaving stains on the pavement 🤷‍♂️ but I knew it could be managed by going around the whole sidecover tightening the bolts incrementally. Removing the dizzy cap and all the plug wires helped. I understand you have a busted bolt and that doesn't instill confidence for long drives, however, I went close to 2K miles before getting warm enough weather to tackle the job, just keep an eye on oil level and top off periodically, also lay a square of cardboard underneath to 'diaper' the drippy oil. . .

If it helps you at all, I had this same leak, was disgusted at leaving stains on the pavement 🤷‍♂️ but I knew it could be managed by going around the whole sidecover tightening the bolts incrementally. Removing the dizzy cap and all the plug wires helped. I understand you have a busted bolt and that doesn't instill confidence for long drives, however, I went close to 2K miles before getting warm enough weather to tackle the job, just keep an eye on oil level and top off periodically, also lay a square of cardboard underneath to 'diaper' the drippy oil. . .
that makes it sting a little less. i was surprised how loose the bolts were so i thought i was doing something constructive rather tha destructive. I was planning on hitting some pretty rough road next week and now have to decide what the risk is. what is the torque on those btw? i dont even want to touch them anymore.

Ahh, something like 12 INCH/pounds. . . finger tight plus a quarter turn or so, but here's an idea, on the broken one, are you able to get a few threads grabbing? If so, you could try stacking several washers onto a bolt, thread it in until finger tight, then a quarter to half turn to get some time before doing the whole job- which would be to replace the side cover gasket with a new one.
HTH

Ahh, something like 12 INCH/pounds. . . finger tight plus a quarter turn or so, but here's an idea, on the broken one, are you able to get a few threads grabbing? If so, you could try stacking several washers onto a bolt, thread it in until finger tight, then a quarter to half turn to get some time before doing the whole job- which would be to replace the side cover gasket with a new one.
HTH
i don't think so but that is a good rec. it is pretty far in. i guess i will drive it this week and see how bad the leak is.

20220617_142259.jpg

i know. ouch

i know. ouch

the determination on whether this is a big deal or not lies NOT on the random speculation of others , but in-fact do you have a active oil leak currently on the area of the

Side Valve Train Cover where the #4 bolt got its head snapped off ?

- A : do you have a leak now ?

- if YES it must be repaired correctly

- if no ? , then leave it alone until it starts to seep or leak ......

- now , the fastener topic :

- never shop at a home depot for your land cruiser assembly hard ware , you will regret it sooner rather then later ,

- ask for some input , or help here in .60 series TECH , such as you did is smart .....

- its also simply smart to call your local Toyota Dealer tomorrow Morning and order up a FULL set of these , 1 for every bolt on the side valve train cover ,

- the is the correct path forward , evaluate , confirm , and diagnose is a big deal , so do your best to do it correctly

- here is the CORRECT BOLT oem part # , gone are the #4 head detail , its a JIS p3 Philips .......

- your now set up for success , you can do this , just remember that :)

These bolts are under 99 cents each ….fyi

7CC4D3BC-041E-420A-B0DF-B91277D17DB5.jpeg

the determination on whether this is a big deal or not lies NOT on the random speculation of others , but in-fact do you have a active oil leak currently on the area of the

Side Valve Train Cover where the #4 bolt got its head snapped off ?

- A : do you have a leak now ?

- if YES it must be repaired correctly

- if no ? , then leave it alone until it starts to seep or leak ......

- now , the fastener topic :

- never shop at a home depot for your land cruiser assembly hard ware , you will regret it sooner rather then later ,

- ask for some input , or help here in .60 series TECH , such as you did is smart .....

- its also simply smart to call your local Toyota Dealer tomorrow Morning and order up a FULL set of these , 1 for every bolt on the side valve train cover ,

- the is the correct path forward , evaluate , confirm , and diagnose is a big deal , so do your best to do it correctly

- here is the CORRECT BOLT oem part # , gone are the #4 head detail , its a JIS p3 Philips .......

- your now set up for success , you can do this , just remember that :)

These bolts are under 99 cents each ….fyi

View attachment 3037041
it is leaking in a minor way after i run the engine but its not constant

it is leaking in a minor way after i run the engine but its not constant
I have two leaks out of my side cover, as well as rear main, front main. I religiously check the oil level and keep it topped up. Unless oil is POURING out of that one corner of your side cover you’re fine. Bring a gallon of oil and a couple rags and go on your trip. FYI I just replaced my side cover and had to look up the torque spec - it’s not listed specifically but IS listed under general bolt torque in the back of the FSM. I don’t have that in front of me but I recall it’s between 30-35 INCH-pounds of torque. Not foot-pounds. Perhaps somebody can correct me if I’m wrong.

@OGBeno @ToyotaMatt I recently bough p/n 91611-G0612 for side cover bolts. They look identical to the existing ones on my truck. Is that a supercession (or old number) for 90080-11211, or did I get the wrong thing?

I have two leaks out of my side cover, as well as rear main, front main. I religiously check the oil level and keep it topped up. Unless oil is POURING out of that one corner of your side cover you’re fine. Bring a gallon of oil and a couple rags and go on your trip. FYI I just replaced my side cover and had to look up the torque spec - it’s not listed specifically but IS listed under general bolt torque in the back of the FSM. I don’t have that in front of me but I recall it’s between 30-35 INCH-pounds of torque. Not foot-pounds. Perhaps somebody can correct me if I’m wrong.

@OGBeno @ToyotaMatt I recently bough p/n 91611-G0612 for side cover bolts. They look identical to the existing ones on my truck. Is that a supercession (or old number) for 90080-11211, or did I get the wrong thing?
cool. that helps a lot. not losing a ton of oil, just a bit more than it was before i got the bright idea to tighten the bolts. it is seeping but only in the one spot. i will test drive it this week and see how much i am losing before hitting the trail on monday. that particular bolt has so many components in front of it i would rather wait to replace the entire gasket. this is a serious live and learn situation.

cool. that helps a lot. not losing a ton of oil, just a bit more than it was before i got the bright idea to tighten the bolts. it is seeping but only in the one spot. i will test drive it this week and see how much i am losing before hitting the trail on monday. that particular bolt has so many components in front of it i would rather wait to replace the entire gasket. this is a serious live and learn situation.
It's a lot of stuff to move, that's for sure. I left the AC install, but pulled the alternator and bracket, dizzy, and two coolant lines. I got away with leaving the oil filter in there - I should have taken it off since it's so easy to remove.

It's a lot of stuff to move, that's for sure. I left the AC install, but pulled the alternator and bracket, dizzy, and two coolant lines. I got away with leaving the oil filter in there - I should have taken it off since it's so easy to remove.
then i need to drill that busted bolt out. still cannot believe i did that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom