Side Cover Bolt sheared off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed the bolt at the front of my side cover was loose so i turned it gently only to have it shear off in the housing. must have been ready to go already.

what next? how to you extract the bolt without stripping the housing? as a bonus it is leaking now. the reason i tightened it is because it leaking a little already. guess the bolt was weak.

Last edited:
Left hand drill bit.

If it was loose it should spin right out. Even if you got it tight, should come right out.

I'd use a 3-3.3mm

Jason

Left hand drill bit.

If it was loose it should spin right out. Even if you got it tight, should come right out.

Left hand drill bit.

I'd use a 3-3.3mm

Jason
that seems a bit advanced for me. never tried that. do I need to remove the pan?

Center punch the bolt as close the center as possible and drill. The pan can stay on. Pretty simple.

Any Toyota parts should have the bolt M8 x 1.25 x 20mm

OR

The company link above has JIS bolts (small wrench head bolts)

OR

BelMetric.com has them as well.
that is a relief. so i just go in from the outside? kicking myself for messing with it but it has been loose for a while

Center punch the bolt as close the center as possible and drill. The pan can stay on. Pretty simple.

Any Toyota parts should have the bolt M8 x 1.25 x 20mm

OR

The company link above has JIS bolts (small wrench head bolts)

OR

BelMetric.com has them as well.
which of these would I use? the small wrench 8.8? full thread 12?

which of these would I use? the small wrench 8.8? full thread 12?

I'd personally use the flanged 10.9 JIS 12mm JIS -- M8 x 1.25 x 20mm long full thread in yellow zinc.

J

No problem and good luck with the repair.

J
just got my bolts and it looks like i incorrectly desrcibed the bolt. it is one of the bolts that is on the passenger side of the engine. it has a 4 on it. i see now that i have got oil pan bolts which should still be useful but i need to find the size of the one i sheared off. it is the very front bolt.

just got my bolts and it looks like i incorrectly desrcibed the bolt. it is one of the bolts that is on the passenger side of the engine. it has a 4 on it. i see now that i have got oil pan bolts which should still be useful but i need to find the size of the one i sheared off. it is the very front bolt.
You will need a shorter length bolt there.

:edit- they are all the same length.

Last edited:
Hmm, the one J mentioned upthread is correct, M8 1.25 x 20 mm. Can you remove one of the intact bolts and go to a local parts house, dig thru the hardware drawers to match it?

Oil pan bolts to the left; common grade 4 bolt at the right:
1655487290146.png
1655487207053.png

The oilpan bolts do not have a grade mark on them, rather the head is recessed.
HTH.

As @OGBeno says. Not a big deal.

Or take one of the correct bolts and match it at Ace Hardware or Napa. You will have one bolt head of a different size. BFD, how many times does one remove the oil pan not in your driveway with easy access to wrenches?

Just get the correct bolts from Toyota. Why is this so difficult.

90080-11675
well to start with I have never removed a sheared bolt and I wanted to make sure I had the correct replacement. if my asking for help is an issue for you i don't know what to tell you. i have never had this issue before so I am trying to learn.
Hmm, the one J mentioned upthread is correct, M8 1.25 x 20 mm. Can you remove one of the intact bolts and go to a local parts house, dig thru the hardware drawers to match it?
i will most likely do that. I mistakenly referred to it as the oil pan bolt because i was in a rush before leaving town. I have been away for two weeks and it broke right before i left. its the removal of the broken one that is giving me heartburn. If I had time i should have posted these pics first and avoided confusion. sheared bolt is bottom right-looks like to worst place to have it.

20220617_125320.jpg

20220617_125300.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom