Shudder on Steering Wheel and Foot Pedal When Braking - Not What You Think (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck (2007 with 200K miles) has always had a bit of this - shudder on steering wheel and brake pedal when braking. Normal cause of this is warped rotors or other brake issues, so I had complete new brakes all around. New rotors, calipers and pads. And new rear shocks.

Seemed to be OK for a while but now shaking is back and is violent when braking going down hill.

Anyone got any ideas for me?

Hmm... always start with the basics.

When you did the brakes (rotors, calipers and pads) did you do both rears and fronts?

How long is a while? 20k miles? 40k miles?

Do you tow?

More complex:

What kind of brakes/rotors did you get?

These are heavy trucks, they use a lot of brakes - depending on your driving it isn’t unusual. Hope we find something that solves your issue.

I've had rotors out of the box 'warped'. Rotor's don't warp, it is pad material impregnated into the rotor that causes the pulsation. What brand of pad/rotor did you use?

What do your wheel bearings look like. I had an issue awhile back that I was certain was the brakes. Turned out to be a fried wheel bearing.

All brake bits were NAPA generic types. If its a wheel bearing problem would that be a front? How do I diagnose tie rods and steering rack?
Thanks for the input.

My wife's car had the same issue. I thought it was brakes, but it turned out to be a wheel out of balance. Might check those

Slap another set of rotors on it.

Changing the front rotors requires that the bearings come off with the hub and have to at least be adjusted properly (if they've been maintained otherwise) and depending on who did that work I would check those first. Could be lots of things, how is all the suspension rubber in the control arms front and rear?

If you are one of those "drive it like you stole it" people and always brake at the last minute you will warp rotors quick, even new ones.
I'm not saying that you are that type, I'm just saying...

Spike555 you are right, but its my WIFE who drives like that! ALSO just checked my records and I ONLY changed the rear rotors not the front so I guess I do that first and check wheel play while i'm there.

ALSO just checked my records and I ONLY changed the rear rotors not the front so I guess I do that first and check wheel play while i'm there.
So are you saying there's a possibility that it IS what we think? ;)

Yes. I'm sorry just blew my mind when I discovered I had only done the rear and not done the front bearings either.

It WAS what you thought. So sorry if I wasted anyones time like I wasted mine. I was so sure I had already done the front bearings and rotors when I did the back, I can only put it down to senility. Anyway all nice and smooth going now.

When you say I do you mean "I" as in you MH_Stevens or I had a shop do it?
If you had done the fronts yourself I would think you'd remember that.... if not you may have another issue to look for but not something we could help with here. :D

Glad you got the bottom of it anyway!

When you say I do you mean "I" as in you MH_Stevens or I had a shop do it?
If you had done the fronts yourself I would think you'd remember that.... if not you may have another issue to look for but not something we could help with here. :D

Glad you got the bottom of it anyway!

Pure senility I think. I did pads rotors and calipers on the back (I meaning the real me) but on the front only pads. Dam annoying wasting every ones time. I think when I saw how bearings come off with rotor I decided to get bearings before I did the rotors and just plain forgot to get back to it then thought it done. Whole issue compounded by loosing the service log.

Hey that makes sense, I could see doing that myself. Glad that did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom