Shudder binding noise heard only in reverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having this issue with 1997 LX450 I will get a shudder from the front end sorta sounds like a metal on metal bind will only occur while in reverse. Unable to duplicate this noise/shudder while in drive. The shudder will shake the front end of the vehicle and feels like its slipping. This past week it happened as well while out on the trail in a muddy situation and had to reverse. I have noticed that the noise is usually there if you slightly pedal into reverse. I saw multiple posts about the 30-43LE transmission so I went ahead and inspected my Serial number which I mine is 97B E 08087 which doesn't seem to fall within the bulletin range. I have also replaced my front and rear driveshaft u-joints along with fluid in front, rear and transfer case. Just recently did a drain and fill on the transmission which the fluid didn't smell burnt or have metal in it. The current set up on the vehicle is a 3" heavy springs, with 33''s. Just looking for ideas on the issue or if other people have had this concern? I appreciate any help.

Not enough balls.
That's the story anyway, something about check balls in the valve plate.
Mine does it too, but only if I get impatient and hit the throttle before I feel the confirmation thump that says "yes it truly is in reverse".
Scared the crap out of me when it first did it. I've learned to be patient when shifting into reverse, Make the shift, wait for the drive train to take all the play out of the system, that's the confirmation thump, then hit gas.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom