shower (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

euclid

SILVER Star
Threads
I am surprised to find no threads with a writeup on onboard showers. Anyone have a link? I sort of have a basic understanding of how it works but I need part recomendations. No need to re-invent the wheel...

Are you referring to a on-board hot water heat exchanger ala?:

www.yankeetoys.org/black900rr/shower/Shower.html

I am planning to make one...however I think I am going to use 1/2" soft copper, coiled inside the copper tube, instead of all the elbows, etc. the author used.

Anyone know a source for an inexpensive heat exchanger? They are on ebay from time to time but most of them seem to be overkill for the application and would require a larger pump than necessary resulting in more volume and higher pressure. Any ideas

I bought mine from a guy selling them on the Pirate board, for $60. Very nice quality and just the right size, pretty much the same size as the one that comes with the R&M shower, except the price was just right for me. The Shurflo pump I bought was $45 new from Northern Tools (1.8 GPM) and then I spent another $50 or so on the hardware/hoses. I have to reinstall the heat exchanger on the new engine so I'll take some pictures this time.

Exiled said:
I bought mine from a guy selling them on the Pirate board, for $60. Very nice quality and just the right size, pretty much the same size as the one that comes with the R&M shower, except the price was just right for me. The Shurflo pump I bought was $45 new from Northern Tools (1.8 GPM) and then I spent another $50 or so on the hardware/hoses. I have to reinstall the heat exchanger on the new engine so I'll take some pictures this time.

What's the "Pirate board"? Have you used your shower/heat exchanger? Jeez for $60 it's hardly worth the time and materials to make them myself! And pics would be good :)

Exiled,
Do you have any suggestion on brand for heat exchanger? Does yours have anything printed on it?

Thanks for the other suggestions. That is just what I was looking for.
GT
Exiled said:

The one I have was made by someone on the POR, he made one for himself, got a lot of interest, so he started making them for sale. This was about two years ago, but if you do a search it will come up. No brand, obviously, but very well made, the guy was great at brazing, there were zero leaks.

I might have picture, I'll have to check. Don't have it with me since the truck is in CO.

you wont be wanting to use 1/2" soft copper inside the tube. too big.

i made my own, dont have a pic of the coils, but its almost excactly the same as what yankeetoys did EXCEPT,,,,

i used 2" copper with caps and barbs, then i coiled 3/8 soft copper around a broomstick to fit inside the 2". it works great, with the engine at operating temp it can make water warm enough from a cold stream to shower comfy.

RHINO said:
you wont be wanting to use 1/2" soft copper inside the tube. too big.

i made my own, dont have a pic of the coils, but its almost excactly the same as what yankeetoys did EXCEPT,,,,

i used 2" copper with caps and barbs, then i coiled 3/8 soft copper around a broomstick to fit inside the 2". it works great, with the engine at operating temp it can make water warm enough from a cold stream to shower comfy.

this is the route I'll be taking. If you have more details, please PM me. However, after reading the Yankee site, I was left with one question: how did the dude braze the 3/8" copper to the second cap and 1/2" barb? Obviously I missed something :doh:

Here's the excerpt copied:

<snip>
One cap installed. Notice the 3/8" tube sticking out of the emd on the right side. This will go into the other 1/2" barb in the other cap.
shower10.jpg

He soldered it from the outside (top) of the barb. Seems like the soft copper coil approach would be easier and better all the way around. FYI: Using the coil method provides more surface area than the straight/elbow path per given inch; hence quicker heating of the water...thus enabling an even smaller design...I'm going to make my first one and see how it works...probably 2-3 weeks out for those waiting on me to be the ginnea pig :grinpimp:

I agree with the coiled soft copper idea, but would you need the outer pipe to be copper? I would think you'd want it to be more insulated.

Galvy pipe maybe? Would the pressure and temp be too much for PVC? Or is there a high temp alternative plastic?

I would think galv would not work due to possible corrosive problem with anti-freeze? Plastic...don't know any that are heat/pressure reliable. Copper is easy to assemble, solder/braze and if you wanted it to be more heat insulated you could take a straight section of larger OD radiator hose and wrap it...

Update: I remembered that I took the heat exchanger out before sending the Cruiser out to CO. Attached are a couple of pictures that show the size and general shape. it's 2.5" OD diameter copper pipe.

Also, I looked up in my files, the guy I bought it from back then is Dan Fosgett, but I have no idea if he's still building them.

HTH!
heat exhanger.jpg
heat exchanger 2.jpg

Send a PM to Pismo Jim. He bought a perfectly sized industrial heat exchanger. Having enjoyed 4 of his most excellent showers, I would just copy his design. He also has a really clean underhood install.

The highlights-
Suction hose is about 50 feet long
Temperature controlled with the rear heater control-nice
Nice pump-lots of water pressure
Inline connections stick out from under the hood-sets up fast.

Here is a photo of the business end, sorry I don't know where he got the heat exchanger. This was at Ershim Lake last year, literally in the middle of the Dusy Ershim trail.
Shower.JPG

I've been very interested in this idea and want to read more about making these. I read Fox's info, but does anyone else have more details of their set-up? I think Pismo Jim has a site, but can't find it. Anyone know the link?

Thanks

Please let us know what Jim is using. I'm intrigued!

Thanks.

spressomon said:
I would think galv would not work due to possible corrosive problem with anti-freeze? Plastic...don't know any that are heat/pressure reliable. Copper is easy to assemble, solder/braze and if you wanted it to be more heat insulated you could take a straight section of larger OD radiator hose and wrap it...

I was referring to the outer pipe cuz I thought the antifreeze was going thru the coiled copper. Maybe I got that backwards.

Cruiserdrew said:
Send a PM to Pismo Jim. He bought a perfectly sized industrial heat exchanger. Having enjoyed 4 of his most excellent showers, I would just copy his design. He also has a really clean underhood install.

The highlights-
Suction hose is about 50 feet long
Temperature controlled with the rear heater control-nice
Nice pump-lots of water pressure
Inline connections stick out from under the hood-sets up fast.

Here is a photo of the business end, sorry I don't know where he got the heat exchanger. This was at Ershim Lake last year, literally in the middle of the Dusy Ershim trail.

Where did you get that tent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom