Show Off Your Prior Owner Surprises (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished up doing front rotors, calipers, pads, hubs, wheel bearings. And I found one very interesting thing when I tore into the DS. Instead of the requisite cir-clip, I found this gem of a snap-ring, even shaved down to fit! I'll throw in a gratuitous shot of a ground down caliper bolt I found as well.

I can't be the only one to have found such excitement while working on my truck. What ya got?

72DB1C1D-E055-4838-AE9B-0BCB34DC2133_1_201_a.jpeg
BBC50A3F-63BE-4B72-92EA-1101CCEB3961_1_201_a.jpeg
94D58559-8E85-4BC0-8B5A-05DEAB26F4AE_1_201_a.jpeg
41A1621B-9831-4B31-A0AB-05B68839A11E_1_201_a.jpeg

That's a new one.

I posted this before, but I found this little baggie of fun inside the rear seat when I pulled it apart for a repair.

IMG_6936.jpeg

Then these lovely pieces of metal sitting on top of the piston when I changed the spark plugs. And yes, the damaged caused by these did kill the motor....

Debris in Cylinder.png

That's a new one.

I posted this before, but I found this little baggie of fun inside the rear seat when I pulled it apart for a repair.

View attachment 3014016

Then these lovely pieces of metal sitting on top of the piston when I changed the spark plugs. And yes, the damaged caused by these did kill the motor....

View attachment 3014017
Too bad one wasn’t enough to pay for the other…

Today's surprises. Broken locks, broken A/C brackets, smoked wheel bearings, vacuum lines, and assorted other awesomeness. Oh, and the pouring fluid from the steering rack randomly. Lest I forget the timing jump. Required a new tensioner after the previous was improperly installed. That was cool too. I bought this from a member last year. Still have yet to drive it. Still curious about the mystique of the LC/LX product.

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_E0306[1].JPG

I almost forgot about the rust... and the "removed" AHC system.

IMG_0266[1].JPG

IMG_0162[1].JPG

IMG_0167[1].JPG

IMG_0255[1].JPG

And that whole disintegrating dash thing too...

OJKK9371[1].JPG

Yeah, well... I seen't it, unfortunately. And regardless of the list of things I was told was completed and I am still finding things. I give this thing about 8 hours a day and I am utterly flabbergasted that anyone would allow whoever completed the previous work on this LX to ever touch another vehicle. The number of missing nuts, bolts, brackets and other miscellaneous parts I have purchased from the local dealer would shame anyone (today was $173 in brake line bolts and brackets as they were all swinging in the breeze). Thank goodness it is a Toyota otherwise it would have never survived to be repaired properly. I am shocked I was able to drive it from the purchase point to my parent's place before it gave up the goods. One day it will come home to my state. Thank goodness sincerely, to all the MUD members who have been so generous with knowledge and parts to help me get her back up and running. I am hoping by July I can get it home to Atlanta. Then the real fun will begin. I am thinking I should name her "Murphy or Lucky" at this point.

Thanks! It's been a trying time. But I finally drove it today. Albeit to a shop to finish out the work I cannot do in the parking lot of my parent's retirement home. But hopefully, she will make the 350-mile trip home soon. I found a drip today from the radiator. Cannot pinpoint it. But maybe the shop can? It is just a couple of small drips and then stops once the thermostat opens. Hoses are new. Cap is new. Heater T's are new. The water pump is newish. The tensioner is new. I guess the radiator is the only thing left. I am hoping to avoid a replacement but I will suck it up if it comes to that. My battlewagon will survive to fight another day.

I don't have any pics but Bertha came with the following:

- bad CV joints
- ball joints worn down to the bone
- AHC was deleted and replaced with a horrendous Glidemaster kit
- several wheel studs were a cheap Chinese units, they spun in place and had to get them extracted out

*Put down your pitchforks* Price was right and mileage was relatively low so it did not sting too much plus she has given me relatively trouble free 3 1/2 years of service so far.

I hope after all this I get the same trouble-free ownership experience. I am just worried about what the interior looks like after this. I have it partially stripped currently. Especially, after that radio bezel, with broken A/C controls, a literal rat's nest, and one key that needed an ECU reflash. I just hope it gets better from there. I have a new dash ready and waiting, new door cards, and a new ECU and harness due to go in before stereo, dynamat, and accessories. Unfortunately, I did not get a breather on the price. Just a nice surprise on my way home. Well, it has not made it home yet, but to my parent's place. How is that pedal commander of yours @Berkut10r doing? I was looking at it before all this started.

I hope after all this I get the same trouble-free ownership experience. I am just worried about what the interior looks like after this. I have it partially stripped currently. Especially, after that radio bezel, with broken A/C controls, a literal rat's nest, and one key that needed an ECU reflash. I just hope it gets better from there. I have a new dash ready and waiting, new door cards, and a new ECU and harness due to go in before stereo, dynamat, and accessories. Unfortunately, I did not get a breather on the price. Just a nice surprise on my way home. Well, it has not made it home yet, but to my parent's place. How is that pedal commander of yours @Berkut10r doing? I was looking at it before all this started.
It sharpens the throttle response sevenfold, it woke Bertha up. @TTViper has driven my rig and he complained that throttle response was waaaay too sensitive.

Looks like my Bertha and the unnamed nightmare will need it then. I love complaints that the "go fast" pedal is too much.

Not mechanical but the mouse-eaten third row complete with mouse bones INSIDE the seats was a fun surprise when I bought mine sight unseen from an AutoNation dealer in Florida.

53305B8E-F308-4DD7-BF01-6FCCFF11159A.jpeg

My trucks PO told me it had an OME suspension. Turns out the rear coils were stock with an extra section welded on.

Not mechanical but the mouse-eaten third row complete with mouse bones INSIDE the seats was a fun surprise when I bought mine sight unseen from an AutoNation dealer in Florida.

View attachment 3023924
As a former AutoNation employee, I am not surprised by this one bit. Just surprised they did not charge extra for a mouse buddy.

my 100 series didn't come with too many surprises, but one day when cleaning my 80 series, i found a gold ring that had fallen between the seats. i sold it to a "we buy gold" place for a few hundred bucks, so that was a win
Mine had a practically brand new Leatherman Wave in one of the compartments in the third row. Not the biggest score but I was in the market for one so it was pretty exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom