Show off your Northeast/Midwest Rust-Free Hundy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sure we've seen lots of pictures of pristine rust-free cars from California, Arizona, and Texas, and lots of rusty, cruddy ones from Pennsylvania, Maine, and Michigan, but here's your chance to show off your rust-free hundy from those regions where winter is cruel and salt is used on the roads regularly. I've heard stories of people who religiously use Fluid Film, Surface Shield, POR 15, etc to keep their rigs clean of rust - after 10 years of ownership I wish I had! If you've got one of those rust-free rigs from the Northeast or Midwest, now's your chance to show it off and education us as to which methods you used, for how long, and how you managed to preserve this wonderful vehicle from rust over the years.

1661374261596.jpeg

Rust free;). Md. From NC and tons of fluid film and blaster shield. Sorry this originally said SC

Last edited:
2C368D24-37BE-4A50-BBD4-54A289068AFB.jpeg
322F5EC9-01C1-4232-B494-3FDE94D50C25.jpeg
2DB6D946-CBCE-482F-8689-AE687C1ECEE3.jpeg
79D5FBEB-30B5-400F-938B-A4AFE048225A.jpeg
05982CCB-50E5-49D1-B052-0F64FC127B7A.jpeg

A few more of common hot spots. The fluid that looks wet is blastershield, the dry dusted areas are fluid film. Probably 8 cans combined, though I have the gun now for bulk. Used the special adapter for the cans which was awesome and fast and easy. I did tons of reading and started with fluid film and then blaster shield came onto the market. The only issue doing this is mechanics can no longer diagnose common leaks without cleaning before hand. That’s OK with me as long as it keeps the LX rust free.

Pics shot just now with my trusty iPhone seven;)

View attachment 3095966View attachment 3095965View attachment 3095964View attachment 3095963View attachment 3095962
A few more of common hot spots. The fluid that looks wet is blastershield, the dry dusted areas are fluid film. Probably 8 cans combined, though I have the gun now for bulk. Used the special adapter for the cans which was awesome and fast and easy. I did tons of reading and started with fluid film and then blaster shield came onto the market. The only issue doing this is mechanics can no longer diagnose common leaks without cleaning before hand. That’s OK with me as long as it keeps the LX rust free.

Pics shot just now with my trusty iPhone seven;)
South Carolina? do they through salt there?

South Carolina? do they through salt there?
Looks like he's in Maryland, but still... My upstate NY, lake effect snow, salt every other day for 5 months upbringing is laughing.

Edit: Oh, looks like he bought the vehicle in SC. :rofl:

Sorry for the confusion as I made a mistake. I purchased the car in North Carolina and I live in Maryland. They use both salt and the sticky brine solution here, kills certain vehicles pretty quick. First LC was from Va and it was too rusty. Next one I went on the hunt in a rust free zone history

Sorry for the confusion as I made a mistake. I purchased the car in North Carolina and I live in Maryland. They use both salt and the sticky brine solution here, kills certain vehicles pretty quick. First LC was from Va and it was too rusty. Next one I went on the hunt in a rust free zone history
Good info, currently have a rusty 4R and looking to replace it with a clean LC/LX and have been curious as to what products are successful in the rust belt.

Low key I am afraid… I have lived in SoCal for the last 15 years. In the event that I need to move back to Chicago for a Family emergency scares me about the salt and my 100 series.

Baltistyle if I may ask how long have you owned the vehicle and what year is it? In other words, how many winters has it spent in Maryland exposed to snow and salt? Did the previous owner in North Caroline do any rustproofing, or was the vehicle naturally rust proof when you got it?

Baltistyle if I may ask how long have you owned the vehicle and what year is it? In other words, how many winters has it spent in Maryland exposed to snow and salt? Did the previous owner in North Caroline do any rustproofing, or was the vehicle naturally rust proof when you got it?
This truck is an 06, 245k miles. I’ve had it through two winters. It was not previously treated in any way. It only has specs of rust from little chips in paint on the frame. This vehicle was also not that well maintained before I purchased it and looked like it had not seen a bath in years. Cosmetically mint was my goal and this truck is perfect inside and out. Mechanically now as well. The first winter of ownership I would spray it down with water after salt. The second winter , I sprayed the crap out if it. Fluid film is thinner and blaster shield is the same product with petroleum added so it stays wetter. I sprayed everywhere the 1/8 inch tube and nozzle would fit. The only areas that may have seen new flash rust is where I missed completely otherwise the films flow all over. Finally did this because I could not find a service offering it, and my German cars all use cosmoline and have zero rust. Happy to answer whatever as I did a lot of reading before spraying.

Also, these pics are after one mild pressure wash of the dirty fluid film so I could inspect seals and engine and tranny and reapply for this year. If I do all blaster shield, it will likely last at least two years even with occasional cleaning of the underbody with a regular hose.

Gary

Last edited:
Since you didn't mention Arkansas. :)

1661434691101.png

Last edited:
Am I doing this right?

20200711_181805.jpg
20200711_181909.jpg
20200711_181917.jpg

You have to flag @Kabanstva on these type of threads - it is a law or something like that!

Message_1645215504240.jpg
Message_1645215541559.jpg

20200915_101110.jpg
20200915_101936.jpg
Right Rear.jpeg

Have I got your attention yet?

20200714_122054.jpg
20200806_130724.jpg

20200715_211024.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom