show off your hi-lift mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well mine is now on an IPOR which has a home for the hi-lift for my LX. I did however integrate a hi-lift mount into the ConFer rack I have which can now be used for my 60. The idea is not vehicle specific nor rack specific. It could be done on an ARB as well.
hi-lift1.jpg
hi-lift2.jpg
hi-lift3.jpg

Last edited:
I have the newer model bumper.

post 'em up. Some close ups would be nice.

Can't help yah there, but would yah mind posting pics of your new style bumper....?

Thanks,

There are some clamps you can get that work specifically with the ARB bumper. the Hi-Lift is basically raised above the top bar and has some twist locks to secure it. UNWIREDADVENTURES in the 80s section has it on his truck:
DSC_4418.jpg

Jack mount

This is the spur-of-the-moment thing I came up with and it worked so I left it alone for the last eight years. The fasteners are the same size as the lug nuts, so I use the lug wrench to free it from the bracket. The vertical tube in the left side of the bumber is there for a rack that I have for carrying stupid long stuff, like 20' lengths of steel.
DSC_6778.jpg

Sorry, I can not suggest putting a hi-lift on a roof rack if you can put it anywhere else...
I tried it for a while. Heck, I even put my spare tire on the roof rack for one run...
But the increase in tippy factor is noticeable. I know it's just a few pounds, but I've rolled once and may be overly sensitive. I'll put my feather pillows and down bags on the roof rack, heavy stuff is stored as low down in the vehicle as I can put it. I'd like to find a way to mount it on my sliders...

EDIT: I guess this is really just for rigs that may go places where tippy is a factor and rigs roll....like, say, the Rubicon. If all your doing is mall cruising, please disregard.

The rack itself weighs 3 times what the jack weighs, and Ingrid is no mall cruiser, has the scars to prove it. Being Sprung under helps a lot with COG

True. But a roof rack kinda hasta go on the roof. A Hi-lift can go elsewhere...
And I watch every ounce that goes up there...being SOA, on 55 axles...
Wanna compare scars?

True. But a roof rack kinda hasta go on the roof. A Hi-lift can go elsewhere...
And I watch every ounce that goes up there...being SOA, on 55 axles...
Wanna compare scars?

Hey! why you gottta come into our forum and pick on 60's? I happen to enjoy Panda Express and Sbarros, and the only place they have it is the malls. Maybe I stay for a little shopping, pick up some sundries and a new top, that's my perogative, don't judge me. My Hi-Lift is going on the rack too, all the kids outside the Cineplex will think it's totally awesome.

Stoopid 55's.

Total poser shots....but, I used a solid aluminum rod (1 1/2 dia.) drilled out the center and bolted them to the top of the ARB. This gives it a nice stand off from the top of the ARB. I used SS bolts and wing nuts with safety wire to keep it safe and easy to remove without climbing ontop of the rig.
2008 Colorado Trip 025.jpg
2008 Colorado Trip 119.jpg

Hey, Pighead don't pick on '60s any more than Pighead picks on '80s...
And '60s aren't really getting picked on here. Too much.
Just passing along some seat-of-the-pants experience.
Pighead kinda sees '60s as the bastard offspring between the '55 and the Kalifornia smognazis. And Pighead gotz a 2F now, and occasionally offers something techworthy.
'Course 55s are stoopid, they don't gots the black boxes and computer stuff that makes '60s so smart. Nor 1% of the special vacuum hoses. (I got 2, how many you got?)
Some '60s folk see the obvious. and do the de-smog, allowing the beautiful 2F to see the light of day. When that happens, Pighead feels vindicated, that his job here is done....
Pighead wheels with '60s, Pighead has wrenched on a '60, Pighead would never own a '60. Pighead would run '60 axles, or a '60 transfer case, or '62 thirds, but Pighead would never run a post-smog rig with A/C....that's just too much stuff under the hood. Gets in the way of the wrenching. Pighead thinks that a solid-axle 4-door straight 6 is the epitome of wheeling. That's just Pighead. YMMV.
OH, i hear there is a sale on body scrub at Bath & Body works....at the mall...

And Pighead speaks of himself in the 3rd person.....

How's this?

desmogsilicone002.jpg

By trapper50cal at 2009-02-24

desmogsilicone005.jpg

By trapper50cal at 2009-02-24

Still a lot compared to two, but at least the engine can see the light of day
I do miss the simplicity of my 76 Pig, but not the rust.

I do agree that you should minimize roof weight whenever possible and to be honest my 60 (as well as many others) is a hybrid Expedition/Rocker/Hunter...

Last edited:
Naturally, a full-fledged Knight of the Iron Pig refers to himself in the 3rd person...
How's this...?

And Pighead speaks of himself in the 3rd person.....

How's this?

Still a lot compared to two, but at least the engine can see the light of day
I do miss the simplicity of my 76 Pig, but not the rust.

I do agree that you should minimize roof weight whenever possible and to be honest my 60 (as well as many others) is a hybrid Expedition/Rocker/Hunter...
engine.jpg

Total poser shots....but, I used a solid aluminum rod (1 1/2 dia.) drilled out the center and bolted them to the top of the ARB. This gives it a nice stand off from the top of the ARB. I used SS bolts and wing nuts with safety wire to keep it safe and easy to remove without climbing ontop of the rig.

thats what I was looking for. thanks.

Sorry, I can not suggest putting a hi-lift on a roof rack if you can put it anywhere else...
I tried it for a while. Heck, I even put my spare tire on the roof rack for one run...
But the increase in tippy factor is noticeable. I know it's just a few pounds, but I've rolled once and may be overly sensitive. I'll put my feather pillows and down bags on the roof rack, heavy stuff is stored as low down in the vehicle as I can put it. I'd like to find a way to mount it on my sliders...

EDIT: I guess this is really just for rigs that may go places where tippy is a factor and rigs roll....like, say, the Rubicon. If all your doing is mall cruising, please disregard.

Lots of people mount them on the roof w/o problems. If I drove a mall cruiser, I doubt I'd be interested in a hilift jack.:cool:

What are these "special vacuum lines" and "computer boxes" you speak of Pighead? The Arakawa plant must have forgotten to put those under the hood of my 60.:D
On the other hand, I have thought a hi-lift mount that slides into the reciever hitch might be nice. It would have to be up where it wouldn't drag offroad, but yet be out of the way of the tailgate. Of course that would put it right where I could smack my kneecap on it.:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom