Show Me Your Pics of Your Yaesu 2900 Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Next up on my build list is better communications. I am currently running a CB, which obviously has its limitations. I've been reseaching for a while for an upgrade to longer range, more reliable comm gear for trail and, more importantly for us, overlanding trips where there may not be cell coverage. I know there are a lot of ham options out there, but I am just looking for something simple and reliable in case I ever need to use remote communications in the case of an emergency or what not, and would still be highly functional on a fun trail run and such. I'm not planning on using ham often or getting into as a hobby, but I just want to have it available to me for when its needed.

That being said (I've noticed my context prefaces always turn into a short novel), I've been doing a lot of research, and I've made my mind up on getting a Yaesu HT-2900R for my needs for the reasons of reliability, power, ease of use, and budget. Also, because of the high reviews and reliability of these radios, I have read that they have high resale value if I decide to resell later in case I want to upgrade to a dual-band or what not. Ideally, I'd love to get a quality ham radio with a detachable remote faceplate, but I'm also trying to do this on a budget to save money for outfitting other things on the Cruiser.

So, I am looking to see how others have mounted their Yaesu 2900 (or 2800) radios in their 80-series rigs? Would love to see some pics and feedback. I was going to post this in the Electronic Toys section of the forum, but I was more curious of seeing installs specific to our 80-series.

Thanks.

CreeperSleeper mounted his 2800 behind the center console. He just re-enforced the inside.

Honestly saved up a little more and went with the 7800 for the obvious reason. Dual band and remote face.
cs1.jpg
cs2.jpg

I've got a galaxy 979 CB mounted there as well. You want to make sure you place it low enough so you can open the console fully without it hitting a knob or mic wire (that pic looks like someone forgot to check that when drilling those holes for the bracket). Used some pieces of aluminum plate to reinforce from the inside the center console with wing nuts on the inside so I can check tightness easily and remove easily (although I never have). The console has a bit of curve to it, so using a smaller piece of re-inforcing plate helps fit within the curvature to spread the load. You will see the console plastic flex a bit as you tighten it down since a flat re-inforcing plat doesnt make flat contact across the area you'd like to be able to spread the load, but after years of use and vibration, no issues. You could probably get creative and bend a plate to match the curvature or use a composite of some sort as well that is flush. I also have a handeld yaesu and will run a antena wire to a mag-mount and use a hand mic...almost as good a a big unit as far as feel and function but only a few watts of power so range is limited on broadcast. Using a soft can coozie in that cup holder will keep the mic from jittering around.

That is the radio I was going to go with but after seeing one in a friends Taco I am saving for a dual band with a remote face plate kit. The 2900 is simply huge and that makes it very hard to mount.

Well, I ended up going with the 2900. HRO had an unbeatable deal going, so I couldn't pass it up. I only plan to keep the radio in the Cruiser on expedition trips and trail runs, so it will be sufficient for my needs. I installed it back behind the center console like some of the others here. It will be easy enough to pull out or put back in. Thanks for the pics and feedback.

Now I just have to figure out an antenna (plan to either mount to the ARB bull bar up front or off of a tab on the rear since the RTT doesn't allow for a mount up top).
image-2037689073.jpg

That is a BIG honkin' transceiver.

Interested to see other people's mounting solutions.

From a bunch of years ago, with an FT1802 mounted behind the console:

ft1802.jpg

then a year or so later, moved the FT1802 into my heep and installed an FT857D into the rear of our 80:

ft857a.jpg

and the remote head behind the console:

hfinstall1.jpg

the locline allows for easy swivel of the remote head:

hfinstall2.jpg

My reasoning for installing the head there is that my whole family have licenses and having it back there makes it easier for the kids to use it while I'm driving etc.

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom