show me your double din touch screen head unit radio upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is that a wooden shift knob or high-low gear knob? @zona

It's a wooden high-low gear knob. I had a craftsman buddy of mine put together several pieces of different wood and shape it. He didn't have enough time to really piece together the shift knob. I'm waiting for someone to create one.

Zona

Did someone say head unit remotes? Check these out. Found them on eBay for $24-$30. They are Bluetooth disc shaped controllers. They have them specifically for Apple or android systems. The top home button summons Siri and the home screen while the bottom media button controls play/pause, volume and track selection of your music. It has worked for me on my pioneer nex 4000 in Bluetooth mode and CarPlay mode. The one caveat being that you loose the ability to control the volume with the fob View attachment 1095496 when in CarPlay(these are for hook up with the phone of your choice, not sure if you can do a HU connection). Must be a software override issue. I have mine mounted to the e brake handle but I think they would look great on the horizontal spokes of the steering wheel. Just check Amazon or satechi.com.

I like that remote option. My Kenwood has an option for an interface for existing steering wheel controls but I never verified if I could transplant a similar Lexus steering wheel with controls onto an 80.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1435104008.468665.jpg

I have a Kenwood DNX 6160. Good unit with all the standard features. One reason I picked it over others is because it has a SIM card slot that is suppose to allow you to unload your own maps to use with the standard GPS. In particular 1:50 topo maps that would provide much better off-road details than your standard road map database. Off course I've never used that feature so can't comment on it. Otherwise I like the Bluetooth compatibility with my iPhone, the optional iPod control cable interface, the dial volume, the ability to match my interior background lighting, and works great with the clarion backup camera I installed. It is upgradable for xm/Sirius and I think digital FM as well.

I sit pretty high but seeing the display isn't that difficult. I would like to see a tilt screen in person to see how it compares. Otherwise the only shortcoming in my opinion is not having a front panel USB. I could run an extension from the back but would like a factory looking slot to tie it into. I haven't found one for our style slot yet - links welcomed.

Anybody have this unit? Can you use Google Maps Turn by Turn via BT via iphone?
I have used Apple, Google and waze app and the voice directions come through the car speakers.

My only gripe is that if I have a podcast going, they will overlay the voice versus on pandora and apple music will pause the songs.

..My Kenwood has an option for an interface for existing steering wheel controls but I never verified if I could transplant a similar Lexus steering wheel with controls onto an 80.
any luck with radio controls on the steering wheel?

any luck with radio controls on the steering wheel?

x2

I recently replaced my steering wheel, but I would strongly consider replacing for steering wheel controls. anyone have any experience?

My Kenwood DNX690HD which I loved because of all the great features it has, kinda crapped out.
It seems a lot of Kenwoods have a ton of issues with the chips inside.
My Navigation Chip had to be replaced a few years ago due to errors.
Now the main chip is acting up and the screen seem as if it's shorting out.
I did a reflow of the chip, it worked for a while. I took the CD player out thinking I can create more volume of air inside so cooling would be enhanced.
But, I guess once it craps out, you can only put a bandaid on it.

Now I am contemplating to get the Alpine ILX-W650. Probably without the attachable amp.
It has no dedicated navigation, no HD Radio, no remote, no CD player.
It does have Android Auto, front and rear camera inputs and hopefully it will last longer then my beloved but troublesome Kenwood.

IMG_20200601_161629470.jpg

IMG_20200601_155828469.jpg

2016-10-16 16.28.11.jpg

2016-10-16 16.28.02.jpg

I've installed two Pioneer avh-2550nex stereos, one in the Land Cruiser and one in my 06 DC Tundra for Android Auto and a multiple view 170* rear view camera. A front view camera is supported as well on the 2550nex and steering wheel controls in the Tundra work great with the radio. The radio has a few bugs here and there but functionality is fantastic and highly customizable compared to most.

Stereo with rear view camera in the Tundra
1591987816361.png

Camera

Optional controller adjuster

Custom tailgate handle camera mount
Multiple views from camera

1591987817329.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom