Show me your dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you looking for a CD player or just something to run Bluetooth from a phone? In one of my other vehicles I have a JL audio Bluetooth thing that hooks to a small amp that runs the speakers; everything is done Bluetooth from the phone. You can hide it wherever.

I just want something to stream music from my phone. Don't need a screen or a cd port. Just want the tunes/podcasts from the phone. Will look up your device, thanks for the tip. 👍

Edit - having a handsfree phone connection would be nice too, but will look into that.

I would really like to avoid cutting the dash too. If nothing else I'd like to plug all the extra holes that are already in it. At the same time, this clearly isn't a restoration with a Cummins and the VA unit going in. I will look into the center console option as a way to get some extra stuff put in there.
My Tuffy box is the 8” stereo console. My 40 will never be restoration with its SBC heart and I’d love a 2.8 like you are doing. I agree a nice clean original dash is my favorite. I think my vintage air knobs look fine next to my Blue Sea USB port. Similar to stock but modern function.

1A0E12D9-6929-4200-845B-E21CF45F2489.jpeg

just a sip between a cup and a lip

1554938633514.png

Dash Cutout.jpg

20190412_125822.jpg

1556905799261.jpeg

20190410_141635.jpg

@TapRackNGo

I’m trying to figure out where the best placement of a radio would be in the dash of my ‘66. I have a ton of holes in my dash, not sure what all is factory and what is ‘custom’ from PO’s. Aside from getting a new headlight switch, installing a radio, and putting in the Vintage Air AC controls, I’d like to fill in the rest of the holes and smooth it out. What have you all done to clean up your dash?

View attachment 2440042
Ditch the radio, pretty much useless in a 40. Use that space for something functional.

8C2963F6-3053-4404-9A68-A0BD0E43208E.jpeg

I’m trying to figure out where the best placement of a radio would be in the dash of my ‘66. I have a ton of holes in my dash, not sure what all is factory and what is ‘custom’ from PO’s. Aside from getting a new headlight switch, installing a radio, and putting in the Vintage Air AC controls, I’d like to fill in the rest of the holes and smooth it out. What have you all done to clean up your dash?

View attachment 2440042
I'm not even worthy to dream of something as clean as your builds. 🤣

love the work you do on your rigs

Oregon ... 1st off BIG thank you, very much appreciate the positive feedback

Ok, I completely hear where your coming from, if you are repainting then absolutely I would fill in all the BS holes and only keep what you want open.
I have done a lot of custom stereos and would then go with something from here ....

And grab yourself one of these MINI amps. These work very well if you dont need it to crank really loud.

B55 | 1900W 5-Channel Class D Compact Amp | Cerwin-Vega

Any questions let me know, but simply connect to the Bluetooth unit and start playing

Steve

Ok, I completely hear where your coming from, if you are repainting then absolutely I would fill in all the BS holes and only keep what you want open.

I would love to keep the patina of the dash, but some PO’s Maaco paint job sprayed yellow all over the place. Can’t live with that, so I might as well seal up the unwanted holes and paint the dash at some point.
B40AAD33-321F-491D-A836-668315D555A8.jpeg

No radio - wireless bluetooth via a hidden amp. Nothing to attract thieves. Works great when your using waze or google maps. Anyone can bluetooth in their phone if you have others in the truck. No cutting dash board, nothing hanging down.

No radio - wireless bluetooth via a hidden amp. Nothing to attract thieves. Works great when your using waze or google maps. Anyone can bluetooth in their phone if you have others in the truck. No cutting dash board, nothing hanging down.

I’m definitely thinking this is the way to go. Unless I do one of the Tuffy consoles with the hidden radio

It’s an 82, so may not be much help. With regards to the radio - I’m going to take out the tape deck the PO installed and put in a retro sounds that has a more stock look, but connects with Bluetooth. I also need to figure out how/where to install a USB charger for the phone(s).

43AA21ED-38F7-4A33-8C35-7CF93D099817.jpeg

On my restomod I removed the ashtray and welded it closed. I then fabricated a base to mount a RAM system to mount an iPad mini, which will serve as an entertainment and navigation source (including off-road and trail routes). Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but it should work out nicely. Form and function.
964D47EB-78D4-4EA9-9EC5-F0C60D7232B1.jpeg

I’ve seen a CB that is single din sized somewhere. I think that’s what I will put in the custom radio cutout mine came with. I have a marine amp with built in Bluetooth for music.
That's what I did. I have a Tuffy Console for my CD player, when I decide to hook it up ;)

20210310_202657.jpg

In the planning stage for my '69 FJ40. Ordered a Tuffy console and Kenwood rear corner speakers and two marine speakers for the roll bar. Lots of extra holes, so I bought a bag of rubber/plastic furniture pads (Like for the bottom of tubular legs==NOT the felt pads) as fillers. Came in sizes from 1/8" to 1 1/2". Ordered a set of OEM dash knobs, a 3 spd gear knob and transfer case knob. Running my CB antenna into the glove box and will run it off the lighter (The controls are on the microphone). Tools, First Aid and CB (& accessories) all store in BRIGHT orange boxes until needed. Dash is a "Kelly" green with sage green trim. Got new lights coming and will mount my off -roads in one of the existing holes.

Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio

Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio ($99 on Amazon with rubber antenna, battery charger and battery case)​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom