Show me your car seats in a FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So now I have to make this safe for the kids in the back. I will be installing a :frown: Jeep rear seat with lap belts. What are you guys who haul your kids around doing for car seats. I plan to pick up a couple new car seats to leave in the truck so I do not have to play the switch seats game with one of the other cars.

I have a 2 year old and 5 year old, there is now way to put a shoulder harness in the rear unless I change the cage. I want more than a lap belt holding my 5 year old down in a booster and he is to big for a normal little kid car seat. What are you guys doing for big kid car seats with harnesses. I am fine with lap belts holding the seat down anybody have any ideas.

Tim

Put in a family cage and install 3 point seat belts. Seriously. Don't try to cut corners here. You're talking about your kids safety.

I'm a firefighter (hence my user name) and recently went on a head on wreck. Long story short, an 8 year old girl was in the back seat of an older Volvo wearing only a lap belt. In the wreck, she bent forwarded violently at the waist and hit her head on the back of the front seat. She is now a quadrapalegic.

Think about it rationally. Yes, it is more money to do it right, but aren't your kids worth it?

Good luck! :cheers:

It has a family cage just does not come back far enough and high enough to make a shoulder harness work safe in the back.

I am open to a new cage but would like to find something that works now and after a full cage.

My father is a fireman and he is fine with the cage that is in the truck if they are restrained in a car seat via lap belt. I was hopeing somebody has found a seat for bigger kids.

I'll send you two five-point belts (or whatever these are) for free, if'n you'll pay the freight.
IMG_1031.jpg
IMG_1032.jpg
IMG_1033.jpg

You should take him up on his offer...I've been looking for three sets of 4 points to see how I could set them up, up front.

I would add to your cage at the back end to make 3 points work. Safety is not something to skimp on :cheers:

I'll send you two five-point belts (or whatever these are) for free, if'n you'll pay the freight.

Thanks I will take them. PM the shiping info and I will get it set up to have ups pick them up.

Tim

We used Volvo booster seats that wrapped around the upper body and 5 point harnesses. You can get harnesses as narrow as 2 inches. We had to change the spring in the release of the harness to a stiffer one as our 5 year old was able to release it himself.

We used Volvo booster seats that wrapped around the upper body and 5 point harnesses. You can get harnesses as narrow as 2 inches. We had to change the spring in the release of the harness to a stiffer one as our 5 year old was able to release it himself.

Is that a brand name of the seat or did you use one that is part of the seat?

I have 2 Recaro Vivo booster seats. They are awesome. I used 4 point harnesses. I am having a new cage built because this one is too small for this bench seat and it will have attachment points for the harnesses.

RECARO Vivo

DSC_0629.jpg

DSC_0633.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 Recaro Vivo booster seats. They are awesome. I used 4 point harnesses. I am having a new cage built because this one is too small for this bench seat and it will have attachment points for the harnesses.

RECARO Vivo

DSC_0629.jpg

DSC_0633.jpg
Alex,

That is a sweet setup for the kids. Can you please provide additional details on the bench seat you are using and details on the install?

Thank you,
Mike

I like that set up allot. I am going to re build the cage as soon as I have the time. It will have a bar across the back to mount harness off of but for now, so the family can ride in it I am going to pick up 1 of these.

For my 4yr old I use the Britax Regent:

REGENT - Car Seats - Britax USA

5pt harness holds up to 80lbs.

It is rated so he can ride in it and be legal. Thanks for all the help guys.

Tim

Hello,

nice seats there, I am using the default FJ40 seats, but I find them uncomfortable and insecure at some point. Originals don't have headrests, also.

I have E36 3 series BMW seats going in. Once adapter brackets are fabbed, that is.

8I have IPOR seat and new lap belts currently. I added 8"x6" backing plates on the underside of the tube. Once my son moves out of his carseat to a booster seat I will change it to 3 point belts. I will just tie it into the MT family cage I have.

That's the seat. It's from a Chrysler 15 passenger van. It has two armrests which is nice. It is 54" across so I can fit 3 kids even with the two boosters. It was $40 on craigslist. That's a Paki vinyl Bimini top. I have OEM bows without the rear ambi door frame. The bimini utilizes that frame so I had to improvise with a bungy cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom