Show me your box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Reaching out to the learned, what storage device are you using to haul your spares, recovery gear etc., while on the trail.

A few years ago I found a super heavy duty Mountain Smith nylon bag ...probably meant as an overnight type bag/soft luggage/business bag...for not much $ at Sierra Trading Post here in Reno.

It has big #10 YKK zippers, closed cell padding between the 'panels', their easy to grab extra large zipper pulls, super tough materials and stitching, 2 large compartments on either side of center and a couple thin pockets on the outside. I have my snatch strap, tackle block, screw pin shackles, 100' of syn winch line extension, winch controller, etc. stuffed inside.

And all of the compartments are lined in bright yellow nylon to make it easier to see what's in it. Anyway it resides at the 50-yard line of my 2nd row seat area within easy access as needed.

I like ammo cans.

Here is my set-up in the FJ40
Dscn2236.jpg

Dscn2238.jpg

Like Spresso, I am a fan of soft bags. I have heavy duty Craftsman bag I picked up somewhere and I use that to store my tow strap, tree strap and shackles. Just seems easy to stuff into smaller areas when packing instead of being forced to use a hard square box.

Jack

Reaching out to the learned, what storage device are you using to haul your spares, recovery gear etc., while on the trail.

I got two racks for mounting MPAC pouches and other stuff (like my fire extinguisher), one on the left rear side and one on the back door. Use the pouches for first aid kit, tools, recovery gear, necessities, etc.. This lets me keep the basics in the FJ all the time, yet out of my way.

Don't have any spares yet to carry... but will likely carry my old rear links once I upgrade them. For this, I'm likely to throw them in a heavy duffle behind or under the passenger seat (using bungies to keep it from flying about).

-- Kurt

Like Spresso, I am a fan of soft bags. I have heavy duty Craftsman bag I picked up somewhere and I use that to store my tow strap, tree strap and shackles. Just seems easy to stuff into smaller areas when packing instead of being forced to use a hard square box.

Jack

Actually it's kind of conditional for me. In the FJ40, that runs open top most of the time, I prefer Ammo cans because they keep stuff clean and dry. In the FJ60 I'm leaning more toward soft bags.

The soft bag seems like a strong option as one can "squeeze" more in, how do you keep the ammo boxes secured?

The soft bag seems like a strong option as one can "squeeze" more in, how do you keep the ammo boxes secured?
I have the platform I built in the bed of the 40.

The one I keep behind the seat is secured with a ratchet strap.

I keep a 9mm can wedged between the seat frame and the inner door jamb secured with a bungee, that holds my air downs, WD40, screw driver, a couple of odds and ends and pressure gauge.
I have some stuff loose under the seat in the 60 that I just got another 9mm can for. I'll use a bungee to the seat frame to secure it. That will probably hold the winch control, OEM tool bag, a shovel/multitool that the PO left in the truck, air downs and pressure gauge.

Two Rubbermaid ActionPackers (I forgot what size) just fill up the back of the XJ, jackets and so on stuff into the spaces between. This type has a latch on each end. Fire extinguisher goes in the left one held in position by all the gear I carry day to day, I can get to it from the DS rear door almost as fast as if it were under the seat. Right one carries stuff I only need off road or on longer trips, and doubles as one of many garage work surfaces because I can't seem to keep the workbench clear...

I had one of those big plastic truck bed boxes for awhile, now I'm down to a couple 20mm ammo cans and a tool box that I ratchet strap down.

I secured by spare axles with some screw down rubberized clamps and some zip ties. I'm still working out my solutions for fluids and such.

A big part is knowing what you need to carry for spares. For me, I had to carry a bunch of junk since I didn't trust the old stuff, when I got it replaced, I don't worry as much about carrying spares of everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom