shovels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thorvald

Threads
Website
www.pointyhatdesigns.com
just use a ten dollar short flat bladed one from the ranch supply store. used to have a fold up army one in my nissan, took me an hour to dig out with it after burying my axles :whoops:

I have one of those army foldups. Slid off a snowy road during Turkey season a few years ago, my L rear hanging over a 20 foot embankment (this was my old toyota pickup with marginal tires). That and the OEM bottle jack were my only recovery equipment. Worked for an hour to stabilize things. Then I gave up and walked out 5 miles and got some friends. :D

I have a small Glock that a buddy got through a group deal for me. It's pretty decent, but nothing beats a reg shovel when ya gotta dig a hole for a body or something :D

i have a folding military shovel, WWII japanese, kinda cool. but i really prefer a full length shovel to a half sized one, though i do cut about a foot off the handle to fit across the width of the rig.

Get the ones with the fiberglass handles so you can cut 'em off to fit in your rig then glue the rubber end back on. Makes it look like it came that way.

I like my shovel it is a flat blade with grips for my tires for extraction
101_1647.JPG

yeah, the ol e-tool is cool, but a full-size blade is very nice in nasty situations

I have two good friends who own tow trucks.

So long as I've got signal on the cell (in FL usually do, f*ckin' Sprint!)
I'm all right.

"hey K, can you uh, like, drive way out here in the middle of nowhere and pick up my junk"

Cause usually, I don't get stuck, I just break down. D'oh

I've got this cool German Nato trenching tool that I got from Cheaper than Dirt for about $5. The thing rocks. It's precision made, folding, has a pick, a date/serial number, and a leather sheath. Hard to believe these guys lost the big war! It is so much better than the US version. Mine was made in 1965 and still is as good as new. Mostly, I've used it mostly to dig latrine holes on 4WD trips, but I'm sure I could dig out the cruiser or a dig a grave if needed. With the pick folded out, it is a fine defensive weapon if your enemy only has a standard US model. :D

For snow trips, I take a real garden shovel with a longer handle.

maybe not the very best shovel in the world, but we've used our Max-Axe to dig many a fire pit, rebuild a falling palapa, chop firewood, build latrines, drive tent stakes, drive nails (overkill, but hey, it was there) and lift a pot full of chicken out of a hot fire - the one and only time I used the Adz attachment- just for kicks. Great multi purpose tool. Of course, for the $150 that they cost, you could buy a good shovel, a machete, a hatchet and a trenching tool. But the Max takes up a lot less space in your rig. I'm still not sure what some of the attachments do, by the way, so if you anyone can set me straight I would appreciate it.

I also have a German tri-fold shovel from Cheaper-Than-Dirt for $5. It works okay for digging "sanitation" holes, but not the best tool if used fro vehicle recovery. I tend to think of these smaller folding shovels as handguns, which is only useful to find/fight your way to a real tool :)
I also have a Glock tool that works similar to the German tri-fold, but at half the weight and 10X the cost.

Glock Shovel's

I have a Law Enforcement web sight where the Glock tool is like 27 bucks if anyone is interested

I would be interested in the url as well.

The glock shovel isn't much better than the std. Army one. It does have a saw in the handle. For real recovery, I'd look at:

http://www.maxax.com/

They're a chunk of change (like $150), but very versatile. The next time someone on the trail asks for a mattock, you'd be able to say you've got one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom