Should you teach someone Stick on your 60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When people see that I drive a manual transmission truck, the questions always comes up about how they want to learn also. But it gets me thinking after having two cruisers getting clutches, how dangerous this idea can be. I cant say Ive had any bad experiences, only because I never did teach anyone. Has anyone else made a mistake and it cost the cruisers clutch? Should I be worried?

Nicholas

I wouldn't worry...teach them to idle start/release the clutch with giving it gas, (which you can't do in most vehicles) and they have it mastered.

I agree. As long as they know how to not damage your truck by overrevving your engine or by not fully engaging the gears, then you should be fine. I've taught a couple of people myself.

:beer:

If your clutch is new and they are a good friend-teach away. A new manual tranny driver will burn off enough pressure plate material to end the life of a clutch that is already near the end of it's life. The clutch on the 60 is pretty forgiving, and not a bad one to learn on. If they don't drive a clutch on a regular basis, it is unlikely the lessons you give them will stick (bad pun, sorry) so it may not be worth it.

I taught my older sister how to drive my cruiser back years ago when it started slipping and I knew it was about to get a new clutch. But she really was not that bad. I would say you are fine as long as they got some good coordination. Some people just freak out and think the engine is going to explode. Just be patient and explain as much as you can and let them watch you while you are driving before you let them drive.

Last edited:
When I was teaching my son a few years ago I could smell the clutch!!

Jeez, me and all my cousins learned to shift on my Grandpa's old Ford pickup out on the farm. We would launch the thing and it would lurch across the pasture until we got the RPMs up where it would smooth out. We never stalled it or killed anything. Don't worry, as long as they don't ride the clutch to stay on an uphill incline, they won't break anything!

I suppose it should go without saying that I would jump in or yell if they tried to start off in 3rd, but I guess while they were driving I would really have to pay attention to all of there moves.

Thanks for all the info!

Nicholas

I taught a friend to drive a stick in my 60 and it was super easy. Take them to some twisty dirt roads- drop it in 4 low and let them go (but not too fast). they won't be able to kill it and they will get the hang of having to shift.

I taught my wife on the 60, no regrets!!!

60s are easy to learn on, long throw, nice pattern, good clutch......I say go for it.

I learned on a SM465(or whatever it was) in my 68 Ford F350

ditto what pimp said...there is no easier rig to learn stick in. i was force taught in my old datsun 720 and it was fine, but good luck finding a decent one of those. 60's are a great tranny to learn on.

Because the 60's shifter DIRECTLY shifts the trans without going though a sloppy linkage as on most modern cars, it will be less confusing to the first-time stick driver. Also, I like the idea of doing it(initially, at least) in low range on a dirt road...it can just be in 2wd low(don't lock the hubs.)

hi,
i second what pluton says, 2wd low! you don't have to worry about speeds when learning. my clutch is low on my 85bj60 and i've been snowplowing for three years now and it's still has the same feeling, TOUGH I SAY!:beer:

I was teaching my nephew today in my 40. He was doing OK, until we turned back onto my street after doing about 45 on a larger road. He went for second but I could hear reverse grinding.:doh: He was really tying to force it so I reached over and put it in the right place. Clutch wasn't really an issue.

It's amazing how clueless people are about how to drive a stick (or just how to drive), how their car works, how to drive their car in a way that's nice to it and its fuel efficiency, how to listen to the engine and drivetrain for feedback (e.g. when to shift), etc. But then, I learned to drive on a 1970 VW Bus . . .

Take it to a gravel parking lot or dirt road. Put in 4low,(NEEDLESS TO SAY, LOCK THE HUBS) have at it. taught my kids when they were 12 years old. Can't hurt clutch don't need to even give it any gas to go, IF they are smooth on the release.

NEEDLESS TO SAY..DO NOT DRIVE IN 4LOW ON A DRY HARD SURFACE.

I learned to drive manual on an International tractor. It is a good way because there's no "gas" pedal, just a clutch. Got one handy? If not, use the 60. Hondas are real easy too.....

I learned on my 60. I had driven manuals before, but not regularly. Took me a few minutes to get the flow of things and then I drove around the neighborhood for practice. Good car to learn on.

I was taught by my dad on the cruiser I now drive. :) Worked great.

I do sometimes get reverse when I'm aiming for second, though--not my teacher's fault. :)

What about 4 low with the hubs unlocked. I was thinking about teaching someone, and the idea of 4 low to learn with seems like a good idea. But would there be any problems doing it with 4 low and the hubs unlocked in a paved parking lot? There's not much in the way of dirt ones around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom