Should we be worried about bears in Tonto? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To be honest was surprised they introduced sheep into the burn area. Area is not a steep and rocky as thought big horn steep needed as habitat. The area is filled with burnt Ponderosa Pine and tall green grass.:meh:
I agree John. And giving an artificial advantage to a new species in an area by killing of predators makes poor sense as things will eventually go back to the way they were in time anyways. Big horn sheep need an extreme habitat to be somewhat protected by predators. NOT a grasslands animal, easy pickings there.

I was a Bear Biologist for 10 years. Keep your campsite clean and all attractants (food, garbage, toothpaste, deodorant, chapstick, etc) locked up and secured from dusk till dawn. As long as the windows are completely up and the doors locked, then your vehicle can effectively serve as the “lockbox” for securing attractants. Leave a window cracked or a door unlocked and a bear will get in and destroy the interior (they particularly like eating the foam inside seats).

You never know what experiences a bear has had prior to your arrival at a given campsite. The previous occupants could have fed it, or they didn’t secure attractants and the bear got a treat. They are very acutely aware of associations - one human feeds them and they expect all humans to feed them. And there have been multiple bear attacks in the Tonto NF, as well as multiple fatal attacks in Arizona in general, over the last 10 years.

I talk to my son about animals all the time before bed. What is your favorite weird bear fact?

I talk to my son about animals all the time before bed. What is your favorite weird bear fact?
Not necessarily weird but unique and random, I suppose: The fecal plug that blocks their rectum during "hibernation" is not composed of previously digested food, but actually dead cells that slough off the intestinal walls that are mixed in with their own hair and pieces of their own foot pads that they consumed. They also have a 3-4" long dick bone (baculum). Their sense of smell is 7x better than a hound's, or approximately 2,100x better than a human's. They like rolling open baby diapers and eating the $hit inside. Their gait is the same as humans' (plantigrade) despite being quadripeds. Their denning behavior varies considerably among habitat types and environmental/climatic conditions, from ground nests in thickets to rock holes in the sides of mountains to inside cypress trees in swamps.

Not necessarily weird but unique and random, I suppose: The fecal plug that blocks their rectum during "hibernation" is not composed of previously digested food, but actually dead cells that slough off the intestinal walls that are mixed in with their own hair and pieces of their own foot pads that they consumed. They also have a 3-4" long dick bone (baculum). Their sense of smell is 7x better than a hound's, or approximately 2,100x better than a human's. They like rolling open baby diapers and eating the $hit inside. Their gait is the same as humans' (plantigrade) despite being quadripeds. Their denning behavior varies considerably among habitat types and environmental/climatic conditions, from ground nests in thickets to rock holes in the sides of mountains to inside cypress trees in swamps.
My son is all about potty talk right now. This is a goldmine. Thank you so much. My wife said "ew" by the way. I will report back with his favorite facts! Also, eating your feet to plug your butt counts as weird.

Spot on. I lived this experience all too often back when I was the Carnivore Program Manager for a neighboring state wildlife management agency…
Friend of my friend who is my 40 plus year hunting partner...
Have you read "The Grizzly Years" by Doug Peacock?
He joined us in deer camp years ago, fascinating stories about bears and being solo for months.

Foot butt plug and eating baby s*** from a diaper took the win. He's 7, so I'm not surprised. The laugh about the diapers was pretty solid.

This is rich content.

What else?

Last edited:
Friend of my friend who is my 40 plus year hunting partner...
Have you read "The Grizzly Years" by Doug Peacock?
He joined us in deer camp years ago, fascinating stories about bears and being solo for months.

Great guy, great book.

Three other really good titles for our region, all by David Brown:
  • The Grizzly in the Southwest
  • The Wolf in the Southwest
  • Borderland Jaguars
Each provides a thorough overview each species' natural history in our region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom