Should Toyota sell the 70 series in lieu of the 300? (1 Viewer)

Pick your 70 for the USA market

• Total voters
I mean it's cheaper and solid axles up front with 3x lockers. It's a utility vehicle mostly but they should sell a Lexus 300 variant if you want luxury. I think a 70 Series would sell more than a 90k$ luxury version.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 12.32.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 12.32.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 12.32.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 12.41.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 12.41.57 PM.png

@ToyotaMotorCorp @Toyota

Ain't gonna happen.

The best thing that could happen if 300-series was retro styled to look like modernized 70-series.

But then apparently we're not getting it.

As much as I would absolutely love to have a 70 series, there's no way Toyota would ever sell enough to make it worth bringing them over here, way too utilitarian for American tastes, and the bare-bones truck market is too dominated by domestic trucks. Unfortunately us enthusiasts won't ever be a big enough market for it to make financial sense for Toyota to do so.

the workmate would probably be the only car/truck that i would consider buying new. i could justify the price because i would keep it pretty much till it rusts away, otherwise for me it would be hard to justify the price of a new vehicle when you can get something used at a reasonable price

It's a bit cheaper than a prado in many markets. So it it's basically 4runner price, they'd sell a bunch. In some markets the lc70 is way more $. I'm not really sure the pricing logic. If it's $70k they'll sell about 5.

Last edited:

AussieHJCruza

SILVER Star
I wonder if many of the members here have driven a 7# who are wishing for them...single diesel engine option, manual transmission, ride like a bucking bronco, non-existent tech etc. Yes, some people would like it but your average American consumer who buys a Silverado with an auto trans, leather, gas V8 etc wouldn't like a 70, especially at the price they would have to charge to make it viable.
Case in point, I could drive across town to the dealer and buy a new VDJ79 but I do 1500 km a week for work and unfortunately the reality is, I don't want to do that in a 70, therefore Ford gets my money because the Hilux sucks

Last edited:

rhah

Admit it, your cruisers jealous
Wouldn’t work here in the states

would have to have to many safety devices to make it bare bones anymore

not to mention a back up camera requirements now 🤮

Gun Runner 5

KI4CMQ
SILVER Star
I wonder if many of the members here have driven a 7# who are wishing for them...single diesel engine option, manual transmission, ride like a bucking bronco, non-existent tech etc. Yes, some people would like it but your average American consumer who buys a Silverado with an auto trans, leather, gas V8 etc wouldn't like a 70, especially at the price they would have to charge to make it viable.
Case in point, I could drive across town to the dealer and buy a new VDJ79 but I do 1500 km a week for work and unfortunately the reality is, I don't want to do that in a 70, therefore Ford gets my money because the Hilux sucks
You are absolutely correct. Outside of a limited number of enthusiast the 70 Series would be a dismal failure in the U.S.

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star
Landcruiser has been deleted so Toyota can keep laser focused on Rav4 domination......

Toyoda exec meeting:

Exec San- "What if we drop the Landcruiser altogether and just do a 2022 RavCruiser Heritage Edition on 31's?"

Superior San- " Oishi ! Just make sure you throw in xl cupholders and lets bring back that 4runner Clino-meter for s***s and giggles"

Exec San "yes-Americans loved playing with that thing "

Last edited:

I think another thing many Americans don't realize is just how small the 70-series is inside. I'm only 5'9", but I can comfortably drive with the seat slid all the way back. I think the average new-car buyer in the US would find it very uncomfortable and inconvenient.

I think another thing many Americans don't realize is just how small the 70-series is inside. I'm only 5'9", but I can comfortably drive with the seat slid all the way back. I think the average new-car buyer in the US would find it very uncomfortable and inconvenient.
6'5" here. I had a 1985 BJ70 and didn't have a problem with the seating position. FJ40 on the other hand is really cramped and even my FJ62 did not have comfortable leg room until I modified it. They're narrower vehicles than the typical US models though, so could be a problem for fat people.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
What is a workmate?? Never heard them called that, I thought is was simply a 76-series. 🤷🏼‍♂️

This 79-series in the shop is pretty tasty.

8A464A6D-2A9D-4FF5-BD7E-40D07B0B3A2B.jpeg
CC19A6DD-F6A6-4D03-AAAA-EE3895E6BDCD.jpeg
A8D251E0-BA54-431A-B1E8-8669DB38D10D.jpeg

I think the main issue with Toyota importing the 70-series is price point. They can’t bring it to the USA a market at a price point that it will sell enough for there to be a profit. Then you have all the other reasons for Toyota not to bring it in but it always comes down to money. I think they could sell at least 5-10,000 a year for awhile (Especially the 76-series) but that is simply not enough.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom