Should there be a pad on top of suspension springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put new suspension springs in the truck a month ago. I had been running OME with poly spacers on top. When i put the new (longer) springs in i pulled out my old springs and poly spaces and threw the new ones in. Right now i have no rubber or poly seat for the front or rear ontop of the spring. Is there suposed to be something in there OEM? I feel like i am betting some noise from the front.

Update, I found the source of the noise. The front edge of my front driverside bumpstop is contacting the front spring. A quick search showed that this happens some times but I dont know why it is happening with such a mild lift. OME 850 and Witsend 2.5 caster plates.

Last edited:
No "pad" on the front coils. The rear coils have a rubber 'donut' pad that sits on the top of the coils. This is how it comes OEM.

cheers,
george.

No "pad" on the front coils. The rear coils have a rubber 'donut' pad that sits on the top of the coils. This is how it comes OEM.

cheers,
george.
Thanks, I am getting a little nose from the front over bigger bumps like a speed bump that sounds like the spring shifting a little in the seat or a "twang" noise. figured it was maybe just metal on metal and need a thin layer of rubber there.

Well, you could spray some lubricant on the top/bottom seats of the coils and then go for a drive and see if it changes... If your shocks have the sliding outside metal body, maybe they are tapping against the inside body or the inside rubber spring cone if the suspension cycles enough and due to the lift height the rubber spring cone is no longer 'centered' in the coil, i.e. it taps against the coil.

Otherwise as others will likely mention, it's the HG about to blow :)

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom