Should She Stay or Should She Go (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to decide if I should sell my reliable 2015 honda accord for something I actually enjoy driving to help reduce debt.

I'm looking at buying a 1998 Land Cruiser with 270,000 miles from a friend. It has been in his family for two generations. They get the oil changed every 3k miles. He said it has had a slow oil leak for years.

From what I've read I think it might be the front differential. Is this a terrible idea? I will eventually upgrade it after paying off student debt. I'm just worried about reliability. I will check it out when I drive it and take it to a mechanic, but from just a general sense would it be a terrible idea based on your knowledge of the truck?

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions. Outsourcing my decisions is one of my favorite things to do.

Your fuel expense will easily double and could almost triple. While the Cruiser is quite "reliable", any 19 yr old vehicle with 270k will have higher maintenance costs vs a 2015 model. You gotta realize things do wear out and need attention at some point.

If you can handle repairs yourself the parts really aren't bad at all. Mine's closing in on 180k and I have no plans to get something newer anytime soon.

They were designed to last 25 years in a third world country. They are heavy duty trucks. You will have to replace some parts that wear out but the engine, transmission, drivetrain, should last 500k plus. Get a list of parts that have already bee replaced.

Good points!

I am prepared to do all repairs myself. I have done all the repairs on my other cars.

Glad to hear yours is still going strong! I'm just hoping that the maintenance cost + added gas cost will be at least equitable to the car payments + insurance for the newer one.

They were designed to last 25 years in a third world country. They are heavy duty trucks. You will have to replace some parts that wear out but the engine, transmission, drivetrain, should last 500k plus. Get a list of parts that have already bee replaced.

Thanks! I've done a little bit of reading and I would be happy to get 5 years out of it. I should have everything paid off by that point.

25 year design life. 1998 Model Year... that makes it 19 years old. You need 5 more years... so 24 years.

You might just make it. :steer::lol:

without a second thought!

I sold my 2011 Fiesta with 90k for a 1998 LC with 282k and have never looked back....There will definitely be maintenance costs but wrenching on it yourself will save you some serious coin. Either way you slice it this thing is totally worth it, 4 months in and I'm in love....

I sold my 2011 Fiesta with 90k for a 1998 LC with 282k and have never looked back....There will definitely be maintenance costs but wrenching on it yourself will save you some serious coin. Either way you slice it this thing is totally worth it, 4 months in and I'm in love....

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

gas, gas, gas. I normally drive the standard 12,000-15,000 miles per year and figured I would get 15mpg at best. The problem that math doesn't figure is that you will go from driving the normal amount to insane amounts of mileage due to the sheer pleasure of driving it. Bought it in 01/16 and had put over 31,000 miles in the first year. At Costco for the tire rotation: "sir, you were just in here last month. yeah, I know. Look it up." I put 5000 miles between February and March. And that doesn't include driving the FJ40 and FJ80 all over the place too. Gas is my biggest expense other than mortgage, but I don't care. You will look for reasons to go somewhere. My buddy bought his wife a 2017 LX570, and he is always offering to drive it to go get it washed, gassed, to the grocery. He has that sh%t-eating grin when he talks about it. It's a clean addiction, other than cost.

And speaking of carbon-offsets: it takes 3 LandCruisers to make up for 1 Prius. I've got my 3.

Last edited:
gas, gas, gas. I normally drive the standard 12,000-15,000 miles per year and figured I would get 15mpg at best. The problem that math doesn't figure is that you will go from driving the normal amount to insane amounts of mileage due to the sheer pleasure of driving it. Bought it in 01/16 and had put over 31,000 miles in the first year. At Costco for the tire rotation: "sir, you were just in here last month. yeah, I know. Look it up." I put 5000 miles between February and March. And that doesn't include driving the FJ40 and FJ80 all over the place too. Gas is my biggest expense other than mortgage, but I don't care. You will look for reasons to go somewhere. My buddy bought his wife a 2017 LX570, and he is always offering to drive it to go get it washed, gassed, to the grocery. He has that sh%t-eating grin when he talks about it. It's a clean addiction, other than cost.

And speaking of carbon-offsets: it takes 3 LandCruisers to make up for 1 Prius. I've got my 3.

Haha, sounds like I'm getting into something dangerous.

OP you have any pictures of the truck you went out and bought? It has been over 12 hours...we know that it's sitting in your driveway..

I'm picking it up after graduation on May 25. He's letting me drive it around once I get it for a while and take it to a mechanic for a check up. He's a family friend so I'm getting a great deal on it. I will post pictures!

Peer pressure - buy it. The only things I have had to do - replacing Ts, exhaust, tires (peace of mind), and most importantly new Polk speakers instead of the crappy Mark Levinsons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom