Should my LC roll back on a hill when in D? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys!

I am new here, and this is my first post. I just bought an FJ80 1991 and I am very happy so far after a day driving. It has some minor problems and I plan to start fixing them (hopefully with your help :) ) but for now I just want to ask about one thing. On a steeper hill after a lot of driving I noticed that the car rolls backwards when set on D. The idle speed is a little bit low (around 550 rpm), the tires are 32" (a little above specs, but this shouldn't be an issue). Since this is the first car I have which does that I was wondering if it is a cause of concern...?

I want also to use the opportunity to thank you all for the wonderful resource you have created. I have been reading the forum for some time and I am amazed at the wealth of information here. :cheers:

Welcome:flipoff2:

Don't think your description is reason for concern. I didn't catch the grade of incline you were referring too, but the truck can roll backwards in drive.

Welcome:flipoff2:

Don't think your description is reason for concern. I didn't catch the grade of incline you were referring too, but the truck can roll backwards in drive.

Thanks!

It is not very steep, maybe about 20-25% incline (10-15 degrees). I would say it is a moderately steep street, definitely not anything really steep.

Welcome to 'MUD ************

Also, if you roll backward enough, your engine has the possibility of stalling.

If it does stall, my advice would be to depress the brake pedal once and keep it depressed until you can restart the engine. Pumping the brake is less effective.

You can read NLXTACY's (long) thread for more info: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/277095-hungry-valley-trip-things-i-learned.html

Congrats on the new rig! :steer:

Thanks,

The thread you suggested is a very long read. I didn't read it all but read the first pages and it seems that the main discussion is about engine stalling. I don't whink mine would stall. What I am trying to find out is just whether it is normal for the car to start rolling back on a slope- whether I should worry about broken transmission or anything of that sort.

Read the whole thread that was referenced - the answers are there and some good safety information regarding the behaviour of the auto. Yes, it will roll backwards down a (sufficiently steep) slope if in Drive. And yes, it will also likely stall.

Simple rule:

- rolling forward, put transmission in drive (or if necessary neutral).
- rolling backward, put transmission in reverse (or if necessary neutral).

cheers,
george.

Don't sweat it! It's normal. However, if you do let it roll back more than a little, it may stall and then the brakes don't work worth a $&!^!

All autos will roll backwards on a hill in D. The exceptions (rare) are the early Subarus with a "hillholder" feature and now several vehicles have reintroduced this (Subaru, Hyundai). Also, don't hold the truck in place with the throttle under these circumstances for very long - use the brakes to hold it. Then with your left foot on the brake still holding the truck, apply throttle until the truck has enough power to begin moving uphill again before releasing the brake. Just a bit off offroad tip.

DougM

Thanks!

Thank you all for the clear and informative replies! I am happy now :p

Hate to bring back a old thread, but I noticed on my 80 that if you are on a very steep hill (one where the truck wants to roll back) and you put it in second gear it will engage some kind of brake and won't let it roll back, does anyone else's do that?
Btw (mine is a 91 3fe 80),
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom