Should I? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tlc1995

SILVER Star
Threads
Should I bring a trailer or leave it?
I'm going to Idaho to pick up a set of axles and was wondering if I can get them into the back of my cruiser with the 2nd and jump seats removed or is this just more issues than if I had just brought my -5x9 trailer.

The reason for me asking is it's 8+hour Grove one way and any extra drag that I can eliminate the better in regards to fuel and time. Can both axles fit easily or will the trailer be a better option regardless of what I think?
Thanks in advance

JD

Use the trailer

Trailer and look into MudShip for members along your route. Yes, the trailer will be behind you all the way but partial loads going to your destination and meeting like minded individuals when you pick up and drop off their parts would be priceless. I have been blessed with both scenarios and it Was nice just doing something and expecting nothing in return.

use the trailer - you will avoid any potential diff oil spills on your carpet and its very difficult to clean plus would be hard on your back lifting them in I reckon
Kinda what I thought too but nice to hear others think the same thing too
Use the trailer
I'm hearing an echo in hear sounds like trailer trailer trailer trailer trailer trailer use the fucn trailer trailer trailer
Trailer and look into MudShip for members along your route. Yes, the trailer will be behind you all the way but partial loads going to your destination and meeting like minded individuals when you pick up and drop off their parts would be priceless. I have been blessed with both scenarios and it Was nice just doing something and expecting nothing in return.
I was also thinking this. Might at well turn this into a mudship thread.. And it's great to help this global community even if it's at the local level. I've been on the receiving end plenty and have given but definitely not enough as maybe I could or should. Guess I know where I can improve as a person

Don't use the trailer.

Then after you're done tell us why you should have taken the trailer. This is how some people learn. The hard way.

Trailer for sure. But I'd load it with 100+ kg of bagged sand (or similar) so it has some weight on it to stop it bouncing.
Ditch the sand when you pick up the load
Yeah I've been taking to since people in the area about road conditions and was planning it I decided to take the trailer before making this thread to j have done plank wood on the deck to help cushion the axles and prevent any sliding around on the diamond plate deck and the metal on metal hadn't l grinding, gouging or the unnecessary marring of components. Good advice regardless and definitely will have that onboard when I get my truck pointed EAST on the 1st ,2023
Don't use the trailer.

Then after you're done tell us why you should have taken the trailer. This is how some people learn. The hard way.
I'm taking notes. But if I leave the trailer behind will You come help me out if I'm not quite grasping this advice? Or I did grasp it, and You will just wait for the update whenever that is posted?
I have it at
4 trailers to 1 no trailer
Things could change but trailers with early lead.
One of the worst smells there is.
Truly

Yeah I've been taking to since people in the area about road conditions and was planning it I decided to take the trailer before making this thread to j have done plank wood on the deck to help cushion the axles and prevent any sliding around on the diamond plate deck and the metal on metal hadn't l grinding, gouging or the unnecessary marring of components. Good advice regardless and definitely will have that onboard when I get my truck pointed EAST on the 1st ,2023

I'm taking notes. But if I leave the trailer behind will You come help me out if I'm not quite grasping this advice? Or I did grasp it, and You will just wait for the update whenever that is posted?
I have it at
4 trailers to 1 no trailer
Things could change but trailers with early lead.

Truly
Yep! Let me know when you get there and discover you need help.

Good thing I have an 80 and not a 40 so I can get there in the same calendar year.

Another factor not mentioned above is safety. It would be hard to secure those axles well enough to prevent movement in a crash. Having them outside the shell of the 80 is safer, especially if they are really well tethered to the trailer.

I've successfully moved a single 80 axle on a rear, hitch mounted, cargo carrier. This was just a local move and the axle was partially stripped but still pretty heavy. Depending on the weight capacity of hitch/carrier and how much work you could do on the far end you could potentially strip the housings and return with the housings on a rear carrier with the diffs/etc. secured in containers that fit mostly in the 2nd row footwell. I'd just take the trailer but if you need another option and can manage the work/complexity of this approach it could be superior to just stuffing the whole axles inside with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom