should I use Green or Red Coolant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you will have to do a search.but on here (mud)the guys if memory serves me correct did a study on green and red.of course red won out.i think it was a matter of quailty ,lubrcation,how clean the red was ver. the green.before i started my trip i changed out the red,did a flush etc.had red in it never a problem but it was time for a flush .wife went to the store and brought back green instead of red so i went ahead and used it.needless to say im finding s*** coming to the surface of the rad.that i know that was not there before.also i noticed after i put in the green my engine temp went up 3 degress.not much but it is a big jump overall.also toyota recommends the red just another reason to listen.:D hope that helps a little

Toyota red. $14/gal.

I have been buying anti-freeze/coolant for all these 21 years for my Land Cruiser and sometimes I have bought Prestone's yellow, sometimes Toyota's Red, and sometimes another brand's green, and never thought anything about the color.

when I went into the parts dept of Toyota Dallas yesterday and asked for some Toyota coolant, the part guy asked me if I use Red or Green in my Cruiser. He said that vehicles as old as mine shouldn't run the red, but should use the green, because of the difference in the additives. That is the first time I had ever heard of this. He said he was out of the green.

I know when I was young and had a English sports car, you were only supposed to use Castrol green in your hydraulics, NOT the red, and I also know that it makes a big difference as to what color the Power Steering fluid is that we use, because we are supposed to ony use the Dextron red in our Cruisers. But I always thought that the color of the coolant ony related to what brand it is and that the color was merely cosmetic.

after searching the internet, I found several web pages that state that the color of anti-freeze IS signifanct and is meant to differentiate each type from one another. There ARE a lot of products that use color to signal their purpose and proper usage. http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/05-2.pdf

so my question is: does it make a difference if I put red or green in my FJ60?

Your Cruiser came with Green from the factory! Red is a relivly new formulation mostly needed to protect the aluminium heads and radiators (and blocks in some cases) of newer cars. Your 2F has an iron block and an iron head, the radiator and heater cores are all copper/brass. Green is just fine, in most cases the green will protect the newer aluminium engines/radiators as well. Red is supposed to be a "long life coolant", however it is still recomended by most MFG'S to change it every 2 years (the same interval as the Green).

The most impoetant thing to remember is to use DISTILLED water when mixing the coolant. Tap water has all kinds of chemicals/minerals that can cause major problems when mixed with any coolant.

There are about a zillion web pages dedicated to coolant and its applications. Do a little search and a lot of reading, you can then make an informed decission.

I say GREEN is just fine.

Dynosoar

I run old fashioned green in my FJ60. This summer, I'm suitching to that new Prestone "all models" green formulation that they sell at Costco. My 80 only gets the red, and changed once per year.

Important: If you change from one type to another, rinse/flush ALL of the "old" coolant out first, 'cause MIXING two different types is a bad idea and will cause formation of sludgy deposits and possible eventual clogging of radiator.

The PO had put switched to Red Toyota before I got my 84 from him. It's been three years 2 years since I flushed it, (9K miles)..all is well, looks fine cools fine.

I would have stayed with green, now I'll stick with Red. I'm with the crowd that says "it was designed for Green, Green should be fine forever". The Temp is controled by the thermostat and fan clutch as much as anything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom