Should I turn my AC into onboard air compressor?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Frankly, the time you spend doing the conversion will be hours. Not to mention the time researching it and discussing it in this thread.

So you waste a few minutes airing up each time you go wheeling. Add up those few minutes and figure out how many times you have to go wheeling to offset the time.

But as I sit here "researching" I am also "rehydrating" with cold #6's! Verse being dirty, down in the hot ashed dirt, after a day or two among the fam, and I want OUT OF THERE as quick as I can!! Plus the more I research, the more I can bitch!

Can anyone point me to any threads that were done using the stock Toyota compressor? I've searched and searched.... not very good at this 'puter stuff!
Also..... is r12 of value? Should I let a shop recover it, or should I keep it?

Can anyone point me to any threads that were done using the stock Toyota compressor? I've searched and searched.... not very good at this 'puter stuff!

I didn't see it on MUD. Might have been Pirate.

You know what? I know where there's a bridge, so maybe I will!

It's all rocky in the bottom so I'll probably break something too. So there!
Drive off in the cruiser instead, you'll be fine

I use a fj60 compressor I got from a salvage yard for 50 bucks on my 40 as a air compressor. Have done so for many years. It's a similar design as the 80 compressor. I think it's a shame to loose a perfectly good ac system for on board air, it's especially nice for defogging the windows. But if you really want to give it a shot, at worst you'll destroy a compressor. I air up tires, power air lockers, run impact guns, die grinders, I even blow the interior out of dust with a blow gun while I wait for everyone else to air up their tires. I love it on the 40 because it doesn't take a lot of real estate under the hood. I add a couple drops of oil to the intake hose about twice a year, definitely a lot less than every 2 hours. I would say more like every 40 to 80 hours.

I was going to do this to mine as the aircon gas had all leaked and its not working, however my compressor had rusted / siezed etc and even after a stripdown / rebuild, I dont think it would really pump very well. and if I got a new comp for it, I think I would have to fix the aircon.

I ended up buying one of these, and it's pretty damn good, no trouble whacking my 4x 285/75s up from 20 to 40psi in a few mins whenever required. nouveau compresseur d'air tmax portable 160litres - vpc4x4.com

My York 210 has the rare larger pulley which causes it to spin slower than what you'd normally get them to spin in relation to engine RPM. Lower RPMs= lower CFMs. That having been said, it will still air up all four 285/75-16 tires at the same time from 15 PSI to 35 PSI in about two and a half minutes... With the engine idling. It'd be even faster with an increase in engine RPM.

After spending two years screwing around with an MV-50 electric compressor, which took almost a half hour to air up with, the first real world trail use of my York yesterday convinced me that it is *THE* way to go if you can afford it.

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any York mount kits available for the 3F as there are for the 1FZ, so you're on your own there, but I promise it would be entirely worth it, even if you only use it to air up tires.

As a side note, with the engine running 2000 RPM, my York was able to air up a 47" tire on a friend's M816 from nearly flat to 75 PSI in about five minutes. The York 210 ain't no joke, man.

My York 210 has the rare larger pulley which causes it to spin slower than what you'd normally get them to spin in relation to engine RPM. Lower RPMs= lower CFMs. That having been said, it will still air up all four 285/75-16 tires at the same time from 15 PSI to 35 PSI in about two and a half minutes... With the engine idling. It'd be even faster with an increase in engine RPM.

After spending two years screwing around with an MV-50 electric compressor, which took almost a half hour to air up with, the first real world trail use of my York yesterday convinced me that it is *THE* way to go if you can afford it.

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any York mount kits available for the 3F as there are for the 1FZ, so you're on your own there, but I promise it would be entirely worth it, even if you only use it to air up tires.

As a side note, with the engine running 2000 RPM, my York was able to air up a 47" tire on a friend's M816 from nearly flat to 75 PSI in about five minutes. The York 210 ain't no joke, man.

My Puma airs up my 37's from 15 to 35 psi in about 2 1/2 minutes. Not as fast as the York in my FJ 55, which was under 2 minutes, but the Puma setup was quicker and cheaper.

no way in fawk I would sacrifice A/C in North Carolina

No AC kinda sucks when it's hot and humid.

No AC sucks extremely bad when it's hot, humid AND raining.

Or, the best $60 - $70 you will ever spend. This mod woke the hell up of my air compressor.

No way in hell I would sacrifice the a/c. I even use the a/c during winter to defog all the windows quickly.
The best option if you don't want a portable compressor would be the York option with the air tank in the rear, no Joey is (still) not paying me for the subtle ads I post here for his products.
Then, Puma.

R-12 is expensive, though used Freon generally has little value. It is however illegal to simply discharge it to the atmosphere in most states.

Even if you could keep the freon it is also illegal for you to sell it or install it in another system without an EPA license.

I'd let the shop recover it.

Or, the best $60 - $70 you will ever spend. This mod woke the hell up of my air compressor.

No way in hell I would sacrifice the a/c. I even use the a/c during winter to defog all the windows quickly.
The best option if you don't want a portable compressor would be the York option with the air tank in the rear, no Joey is (still) not paying me for the subtle ads I post here for his products.
Then, Puma.

NC is not that hot. Average about 90 in the summer.
If I'm not mistaken, the stock 80 compressor is just as quick as a York.

My Puma airs up my 37's from 15 to 35 psi in about 2 1/2 minutes. Not as fast as the York in my FJ 55, which was under 2 minutes, but the Puma setup was quicker and cheaper.

I had a Puma for awhile, good compressor, but slower than a underhood setup, and I didn't like the space it took up... ended up selling it.

Why not try to add a second ac compressor to your motor for on board air? Maybe where the smog pump goes...

After reading the suggestions I'm going to do this. I've been looking for motivation to do a complete de-smog, and this is it! Maybe now a build thread as I do it.

Somewhere the Toyota engineer who insisted on the 'anti-swamp nutz' vent will cry if you break open a functioning A/C system.

That vent is a selling point on its' own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom