should i trade the diesel 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dohcdelsol93

snoogans
Threads
i love my 60, i really love the mpg i get on my daily 1hr or so commute.

I even love the 20+mpg i get with a boat in tow through the mtns of NE georgia.

What i don't love is not having a top that comes off.

I've been tossing the idea of trading the 60. I"m looking at 40's, early broncos and scouts.

I'm looking to trade for something with minimal rust, good mechanical condition (turn key) and has been well maintained. Prefer nothing heavily modified, something i can use as a daily driver and will do 60-70mph.

Needs to tow about 2000 lbs.

Granted it probably won't be long before whatever i get to recieve another diesel swap since i've learned the error of my ways with the first swap and know which direction to go in order to cut corners where needed to get it in cheaply/reliably and most importantly...QUICKLY

i've found this 40 and he's interested

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-t...reat-shape-very-original-trade-fj60-fj62.html

I'm not too familar with 40's

knuckles are in unknown condition (rebuild time)

the only gauges that work are water and amp.

minor rust.

Has a nice soft top and most importantly...can be driven without a top on!!!!

What are your guys opnions of 40's as DD's....and am i gettting a pretty even trade?

Not sure what pre 70's fj40's are going for.

turncoat!!!

does not look like an even trade to me either!!!

My 2F with a 4 speed didn't like pulling 1200#'s I know an F with a 3 speed won't like 2000#'s.

Unless you find a healthy 2F and 4 speed with small tires, or get fuel injection you aren't going to be towing 2000 with a 40. And you definatley won't be able to tow anything over 14'.

Jeremy

If you had the spare cash and room, i'd just buy a 40. Your getting 20+ mpg now, why go to something with worst gas milage?

I love my tacoma, but i miss the nissan bc of the gas milage.

if i got the 40 it would only be a matter of time before she got an isuzu or MB diesel swap and a 4l60 tranny along with a 62 transfer case.

I don't have the room or cash to go out and buy one (unless i want to sleep in my boat all the time)

I think i'll try to hold out and find a swapped 40. Or maybe a scout/early bronco and enjoy my 24mpg until then.

go pay 2k and get an older volkswagon rabbit convertible and be done with it.

When I was a kid I had a VW rabbit diesel. It was the LS 4 door model with plush seats, woodgrain plastic dash and AC. Wish I still had it! 45mpg with the AC on. Would be perfect for these stupid gas prices were paying now. Oh yeah, back then diesel was about 10 to 20 cents a gallon cheaper than regular. Go figure, now you have to pay more for a fuel that takes less processing to make. WTF!

Sounds like a good idea.

if your talking abut the rabbit then get out :flipoff2:lol

I'm not too fond of the rabbit idea.

Since i traded away the del sol i decided i like bigger vehicles better. NOt enout room for tools/crap for the little ones.

It's not the power or gearing that is going to hinder you, it's the wheelbase. Pulling it won't be a problem with any of the motor/tranny options, albeit slow, it's stopping when you have something that weighs almost as much as your towing rig, but is twice as long. Can you say jack-knife, or best case scenario your rear tires lift up and you just run into something. 40's weren't made for towing anything more than a john boat or 8' yard trailer.

Jeremy

looks like about 55 is the most i can do with a boat in tow with the 40. With the fj60 at 70mph i don't even notice it's back there with the diesel swap.

It's a real head beater.

the fj40 has the cool factor.

If i do another swap i don't need the AC since the top comes off (will stay off from april until nov)

But the 60 needs nothing, i've replaced about everything at this point. Would be a PITA to do it all over again but on the other hand now that i've done everything from engine swaps to knuckle rebuilds it's always easier the more you do it.

The towing does suck. I could add trailer brakes to boat trailer. that would be an option.

i do have a soft spot for early broncos!

and factory v8 would be a plus.

cut the top off the 60. Add a roll cage. Make custom soft top for those rainy days. TADA u can do everything u want then. I think that tapage dude on mud done this after rolling his. Uber cool!! Heck keep the 60 and buy a cheap wrangler.

cut the top off the 60. Add a roll cage. Make custom soft top for those rainy days. TADA u can do everything u want then. I think that tapage dude on mud done this after rolling his. Uber cool!! Heck keep the 60 and buy a cheap wrangler.

Ding ding ding.... I like this route :D

find a vanagon with the ragtop and chop n patch it in, unless you wanna go camper top :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom