Should I sell my 2016 Tacoma to buy a HDJ80/81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ive been DD 80's series since I was 17 and honestly the headaches never stop, they always need something. They do keep putting smiles on my face though. Ive always thought about getting a second car but I just move too often. If you can have 2 cars I think its a great choice, if not id really think it over / what you want.

Ive been DD 80's series since I was 17 and honestly the headaches never stop, they always need something. They do keep putting smiles on my face though. Ive always thought about getting a second car but I just move too often. If you can have 2 cars I think its a great choice, if not id really think it over / what you want.

This.

They can be an ongoing headache with a never ending to do list, but damn i enjoy driving my 80!

A lot of people giving you good, practical, sensible advice in this thread. Which is odd, because nothing about owning an 80, or wheeling/overlanding in general, is practical or sensible really. ;)

Honestly, an 80 is an ultimate big boys toy. If the idea of owning one puts a smile on your face, and you have the cash to burn on it, go for it! If any of us here cared about practical and sensible, we'd all be driving hybrid Corolla's.

A lot of people giving you good, practical, sensible advice in this thread. Which is odd, because nothing about owning an 80, or wheeling/overlanding in general, is practical or sensible really. ;)

Honestly, an 80 is an ultimate big boys toy. If the idea of owning one puts a smile on your face, and you have the cash to burn on it, go for it! If any of us here cared about practical and sensible, we'd all be driving hybrid Corolla's.
I would sooner die than drive a battery. Give me fuel or give me death!

Sounds like worth doing if it's something you're passionate about, though several things to consider for sure. I really do appreciate all the advice. Luckily having a place to work on things won't be an issue. I've got lots of thinking to do, as well as searching for a potential 80 to purchase, but all the advice above has been very helpful. Nice to have an enthusiastic group to bounce ideas off of. Too bad you can't just find one of these things anywhere to test drive and see how much you really like it, lol!

Too bad you can't just find one of these things anywhere to test drive and see how much you really like it, lol!

Search for a club in your area and see if you can find someone who's willing to help you out with a test drive.
Drop down menu, top left.

Screenshot_20210809-190429_Brave.jpg

Also, Lockwoods is probably the worst to compare for a guy just wanting an HDJ81. That Cruiser and build is a full on custom ground up job. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers
I think you're misinterpreting my comment on that. While that build does have a large amount of custom work, it's also an excellent example of just how many OEM parts can be replaced.

I think you're misinterpreting my comment on that. While that build does have a large amount of custom work, it's also an excellent example of just how many OEM parts can be replaced.

Say what!?

Any massive build shows how many parts can be replaced. Name of the game in a restoration, refresh or restomod. 🤷🏼‍♂️

How about the 80 you guys did? Replace much on it??

My Cruiser is simply a refresh, I have probably replaced close to $30k in parts on it. Should that be an example of what to expect for some person looking to buy an 80-series? No, its far more than a baseline.

Cheers

I have a 1HDT swapped 80. Like others here... I've daily driven mine for the last 70,000 miles. My rig has been almost entirely trouble free. I had a failure of my older GTurbo, but no other issues outside of that. I do all my preventative maintenance before things fail. (parts aren't hard to get, really) I listen to my rig when I drive. But I don't baby it. The key is that I bought a solid rig from another mud member. I think finding someone selling a rig that is taken care of is important.

I
@Astott is 24yrs old and driving an 81 all over the west this summer. He is astott_overland on instagram if you want to see how he uses his 81. He has had a couple repairs, that he has done himself.

We have had very nice HDJ81’s in our shop. One customer, all his needed was BEB and a knuckle job. It is one of the nicest 81’s we have ever seen and he paid under $20k for it.

I sold my 04 Taco back in 2011 and got into a v8 FJ60. I do not regret going to a Cruiser from the Taco.

Cheers
I would say go for it!! Owning a JDM import isn’t the cheapest option out there but man is it rewarding. The community here is only growing and learning how to work on these vehiuis so much fun. Only thing I would suggest is trying to ensure a sound initial purchase!

Having owned both simultaneously they both serve a purpose. I enjoyed the 3rd Gen Tacoma but the HDJ81 was a better fit for me. From a practicality standpoint the Tacoma may be a better choice for a young lad. If you have the resources go for the 81...

Be prepared for baselining the HDJ81. It's not cheap as others have mentioned...

Diesel items like:
Turbo
Fuel Injectors/Injection Pump
BEB's (1HDT/1HZ)

Typical 80 series baselining...
Knuckles
Brakes
Suspension/Bushings

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom