Should I replace this water pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.alpine-overland.com
I’m fixing my oil pump seal and front main seal leaks and noticed what seems like minor play in the water pump, but I’m not sure if this is within spec. I don’t want to just throw parts at the truck, but I already have everything apart so I’ll replace it if it’s questionable.

Grab one off rockauto. The asian model is the OEM supplier. All the ones that i have purchased have had the Toyota markings buffed out. Its a $60 part and not worth the second guessing.

Get a new one, easy job, cheap peace of mind! Thermostat and fan clutch?

Check AC belt tensioner pulley and Alternator belt idler pulley for noise, roughness. If any oil leaking at the bottom front of the engine it's very likely your oil pump cover gasket/O-ring, now would be a good time to replace it along with the front crank pulley seal.

Flush the cooling system before you remove the water pump; I like to remove the Tstat first, re-attach the housing, then drive it a few miles between flushes.

Remember to open the block drain also. Start with tap water, then go to distilled water flushes (1-2), then final fill 50:50 antifreeze and distilled water. If you don't know the age of the current Tstat replace it with a new OEM Tstat even if it seems like the old one is working.

FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom